1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dry skin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Whats the best way to deal with dry skin? I've used lotion but it doesnt seem to help. My knuckles get so dry they crack and bleed in the winter.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Cocoa butter.
    At the end of the golf season, my hands crack bad - it's from washing clubs with the wet towel. I apply lotion, let it dry, then put chapstick on to keep my hands moist.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

My fingers split at the edges of the nails. Hangnails. The worst is when I get a split at the end of my thumbnails. I get the dry, cracking knuckles too.

My dermatologist gave me an Rx for Locoid Lipocream. It provides damn near instant relief and speeds healing. I always highly recommend this Locoid stuff. Even my worst, the split at the end of my thumbnail, feels better quickly and usually heals up significantly within 24 hours.

I'd try to get it from a doctor (requires a prescription) ASAP. Again, I recommend this to everyone.

It's a hydrocortisone, so if you can't afford or otherwise can't get the Rx, perhaps an OTC hydrocortisone cream will help. Maybe not as well and not as fast.

Fuck, I sound like Barry Bonds.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Funny this is posted because I am going through the worst case of dry eyes right now. It is to the point where it hurts to blink. I have tried using eye drops but it does not seem to do much at all, or even trying to tear up. I do not know if anyone has any tried-and-true remedies for that, but I would be all ears.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We need Ashy Larry to make his return to enlighten us.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I have problems with dry hands, splitting nails, etc. I find regular manicures really help (I skip the nail polish) and adding a paraffin treatment is even better.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HC likes this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Amy ... I use that too. :cool:

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I have an apptmt with the dermatologist next week. I'll see about that Rx.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

"Caked bags"? I'm not sure what that is but it sounds awful.

"Sore teats" must be bad enough, but "caked bags" sound downright alarming.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One thing many people don't think of at this time of year is to make sure you drink plenty of water. You moisturize your skin from the inside, too.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This stuff called "Cornhuskers Lotion" really works well.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted