1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drunk guy steals jet fuel for his car

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Jul 29, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

How fast was he trying to go?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/ap_on_fe_st/odd_jet_fuel_theft

2. chester

chester Member

Wasn't this an episode of Family Guy?

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yes, and it included this great scene:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/11475/family-guy-the-world-werent-scary-enough#x-4,vclip,8

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The most pointless, glorious entertainment of my life came from jet fuel. There is a guy named Fred Sibley who has raced dragsters with jet engines since the early 60s. Now he does a show where he drives a jet-fueled beer truck (loaded down with something like 18,000 pounds of metal so it doesn't go flying away) out to the middle of a track, revs up the engine, and shoots flames out the back to set afire a car propped up on a barrel. I believe he's appearing at the Team Demolition Derby in Joliet this summer, which by itself is pointless, glorious entertainment.

I believe I read somewhere Sibley, in his racing days, always had an open-faced helmet and a cigar in his mouth.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Simpsons one was better.

This is what it would look like if the assailant was hit with a barrage of baseballs.

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's amazing who fate takes early and who it leaves alone.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A Mobil station in my neck of the woods sells racing fuel (107 octane) for $5.999 a gallon.

I ran a few gallons of it a couple of times, and never noticed any improved performance over running super unleaded. It might help if you run an old, old car (pre-1980s) that used to run on leaded fuel.

Otherwise, save your money, buddy.

I don't think a gas engine will even run on jet fuel, will it? Isn't it more akin to kerosene?

8. T2

T2 Member

I think you're right. The lead sentence in the story was likely in error and should have referred to "avgas" or aviation gasoline for propeller planes, not jet fuel.

9. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Didn't that dope Jose Canseco try to put jet fuel in his sports car once?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Super (93) is a sham, too.

Anyone using it at this point over 87 is shamelessly rich, and/or a little ignorant.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Not true. Some cars (like one of mine, unfortunately) are tuned for 91. You can use 87, but the car runs like crap and actually gets worse mileage. Believe me, there's no way I'd be paying the extra 20 cents a gallon if I didn't have to.

Now, those 89-octane pumps are just a profit center. There are no cars designed to run on 89 octane--they're all either 87 or 91. A few very old (carbureted) cars might benefit from it, but there aren't that many of those left.

Draft saved Draft deleted