1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Droid Incredible?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Jun 8, 2010.

1. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I've had the phone since late April & the only time I've touched the track pad is to snap a picture. I hated my BB track ball. This is light years better.

As for typing, I downloaded Swype. No more tapping (well, very little) for me!!
    http://www.swypeinc.com/index.html

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yeah, the Blackberry trackball is an awful thing and I just ruined the entire top half of my keyboard by one drop of water falling on it. I am using my friend's old Blackberry with the scroll wheel on the side and it's awesome. Too bad it's 2G.

I am strongly considering a touchscreen phone next and those Android devices are definitely impressive.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I have an HTC Hero but want to upgrade to an EVO sometime over the summer.

Love love love the Android phones ... great look, functionality and the ability to customize your phone.

The new iPhone is out too, folks:

[​IMG]

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/08/iphone-4-guide-preview-pricing-availability-and-more/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah, mentioned that in the Gizmodo thread as to not interrupt this one. Having said that: Peace, Verizon. I may even end my contract early and eat the termination fee.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Not a great thread title, but iPhone chat can be in here...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/77320/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Wallace

Wallace Guest

I have had a Droid since Christmas and I love it. Great interface, easy to use and so many cool tricks with it. Plus, when the new update hits, it's going to be even better with the mobile hot spots and tethering.

My favorite apps: SNesoid (Super Nintendo Emulator), Twidroid for Twitter, Shazam (listens to any song and gives you the artist and song info), Pandora, Yelp...there are so many apps really you can't go wrong.

I was originally going to switch to AT&T to get an iPhone before extending my contract with the Droid. Happy I didn't. The only real difference (to me) from the Droid to the iPhone is just the Apple namesake and a few apps. My phone does everything I'd want in an iPhone anyway.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought it was a funny moment when Jobs could not connect his new phone to wifi.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

My Verizon contract is up in July and I'm seriously considering the "New Every Two" contract to get a discounted Droid. I've been happy with Verizon over the past 4-5 years.

I've always had a flip phone, so these smart and touchscreen phones are likely going to take some getting used to. Did any of you have any problems adjusting? I've only toyed with a friend's IPhone and Droid a few times.

What would you say the average monthly cost is for service?

And, are the apps free for download?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

NDub:

There are plenty of free aps available. I never pay for apps. So there's that.

Also, the Droid (at least the one I have) also has a slide-out keyboard, so you can still use the QWERTY if you need to.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

NDub
    I'd wait it out a bit for the Moto Droid 2 that should come out this fall if you stay with Verizon. You're probably looking at a bill around $95 with taxes if not more. Yes, there are free apps. Not sure what the droid app store looks like, but with Apple, free apps are everywhere. I'm sure the droid store has them.

I've played with the touchscreen for both the Droid and the Incredible and while I don't think it's as smooth as an iPhone/Touch, it's certainly doable. My roommates have the Spring versions of the HTC models/Incredible/whatever and they text on it pretty fast.

I've been with VZW for about eight years and I'm about ready to jump ship to AT&T, but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the service, but the phone I want is with them and I don't see VZW getting the new iPhone anytime soon if at all. I'll see what gets pumped out for VZW in the next few months.

Anyway, if I were you, wait for VZW to pump out a 4G EVO phone.

11. Wallace

Wallace Guest

I, like a few of my friends with the Droid, never use the QWERTY keyboard. I type much faster and neater by turning the phone sideways and typing on screen.

Ton's of free apps. The only paid app I have is the Super Nintendo emulator. Most of the really good apps are free too.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Love my Moto Droid, can't wait for 2.2 so I can go mobile wifi and get Adobe Flash.
    If you need your Flash video fix, download Skyfire. It's a browser app that is free that can convert and play some Flash movies on your phone (take that iPhone).
    No Hulu yet, but there are mods in 2.2 with Flash 10 that can use Hulu.

Draft saved Draft deleted