1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drive naked, save gas/increase mileage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Aug 8, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/07/beck.energy/index.html

one paragraph from the story:

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That column was a steaming pile of crap. I don't know how you in good conscience argue against cutting consumption on the basis that it's "annoying."

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Talk about taking something out of context.

He said asking everyone to unplug their television every day was annoying and people would never do it. Not cutting consumption as a whole.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

My apologies, the rest of the consumption-cutting suggestions he described as "gimmicks," so I take responsibility for mischaracterizing Glenn Beck.

5. imjustagirl

Filling your tires IS a gimmick. Sorry.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How is it a gimmick if it's true?

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No need to apologize when I categorically reject the notion.

8. imjustagirl

Did you read the link? The majority of people already do that. The people who don't aren't likely to do it for a long-term solution.

It's a short-term fix. It's not a solution...it's a gimmick.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Good point. If it was accurate.

But no one actually said it was a solution. It was brought up as a comparison: We can save as much gas properly inflating our tires, as we would with offshore drilling.

But I wouldn't expect any more than an intellectually dishonest and flawed argument from Glenn Beck.

10. imjustagirl

Right. Great. OK, so it's a strawman argument, because one option is real and the other is make-believe?

Much better defense.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How can it be a strawman argument if it was never an argument to begin with? The point was that offshore drilling is unncessary because the gains would be as minimal as keeping your tires properly inflated.

But instead of understanding context, we'll just focus on a couple of words and ridicule.

12. imjustagirl

As FDP said above, I categorically reject this.

Draft saved Draft deleted