1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drive-By Truckers webcast concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubba Fett, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i was gonna post this motherfuckin' shit

good work bubba

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Thanks Bubba ... now this tired old body will never get to sleep on time!!! ;D
    Recently went to see DBT with Robert Randolph Family and Black Crowes and even though the DBTs got less stage time, they still stood out as the best of the three acts that night.
    Hope they do their own tour soon and come back to my town.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bubba, a sincere thanks. I haven't seen these guys live ... but damn, this is a good show ... love me some "Sink Hole"

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll miss the live broadcast, but I'll listen as soon as they archive it.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I feel like Spnited when I ask this, but who are the Drive-By Truckers?

EDIT: OK, I Googled and found the Wikipedia page. Are they supposed to be ironic?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Excellent band from Athens, Ga. -- I guess you'd call it a rock/country/alt group, but that label doesn't seem to fit very well.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

not at all

and, while they live in athens, they're originally from muscle shoals, al.

patterson hood is the main singer, and his father is david hood, who played in the muscle shoals sound

amazing band. jason isbell may be one of the best 25ish songwriters i've ever heard. amazing band. great live.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

uh, the encore's been going for like 35 minutes now. these guys fucking rock ...

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I just got home from the show. Wow. Just wow. These guys fucking rock. I've seen them before, but this was a great show. I spent the last 10 songs or so leaning on the railing up against the stage, right in front of Jason. Sigh... He played my 3 favorite songs - Outfit, Decoration Day and Goddamn Lonely Love. And Moonlight Mile was in-fucking-credible. At one point during one of the later songs, Jason jumped into the audience to play. Just great. ;D ;D

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Did they do the awesome "Carl Perkins' Cadillac"?

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Ironic? In some sense, yes.
    Realistic? Definitely.

Here's something from NPR that might help?

"The band's songs tell tales of drunks, widespread poverty, loveable losers and stubborn good ol' boys set against a backdrop of trailer parks and southern despair. They speak of "the duality of the Southern thing," pride and regret: the pride of belonging to a special place with a separate history, speaking in a distinct accent, and a feeling of discomfort, too, about some of that history and attitude."

You either get it or you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted