1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking in the 21st century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Aug 12, 2017.

1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That figure is shockingly high. My friends and I are all "drinkers" - we tailgate, we drink beer while we watch football together, we talk about craft beer and bourbon like huge dorks - but none of us to my knowledge exhibit any of the symptoms on that criteria. (We do worry a little about the guy whose intake seems to have increased after his wife's unexpected death this spring.) But we're also 40 and know how to enjoy in moderation - the "dad buzz," as one guy calls it.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The study found that rates of alcoholism were higher among men (16.7 percent), Native Americans (16.6 percent), people below the poverty threshold (14.3 percent), and people living in the Midwest (14.8 percent). Stunningly, nearly 1 in 4 adults under age 30 (23.4 percent) met the diagnostic criteria for alcoholism.

The only stunning part about that is that it's so low.

Dick, I'm sure your/my cohort would be way down the list on a percentage basis.

4. Dick Whitman

But weren't we just talking the other day about how young people don't drink and dope and sex anymore because they are on their smartphones instead?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Teenagers.

What they're talking about is college and young adult.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

My headache this morning suggests otherwise ... #Imadumbass

lcjjdnh and LongTimeListener like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I should clarify: We know that there's a time and a place.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Wait until you're a senior citizen like me. If I have as much as one more than a total of three drinks in a night, that is, one cocktail and splitting a bottle of wine with my wife, I wake up feeling the way I used to the day after the Super Bowl in my 20s.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've been on a cleaner-living kick and have cut way back, but last night we had company and opening that 3rd bottle seemed like such a good idea. It wasn't.

Big Circus and YankeeFan like this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder what the Midwest figure would be if it weren't for Wisconsin being 99 percent soused at all times?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've made a switch from drinking a lot of heavy IPAs to drinking maybe one or two and then switching to a lager or a pilsner. Much easier on the constitution the next day.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have old college friends visiting this weekend. I see my future in your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted