1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking epidemic in our business?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Angola!, Jan 27, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A situation like Sam's is probably the reason most non-drinkers choose not to drink: being traumatized by someone else's drinking. Probably the same for non-smokers: My mom had part of a lung removed and my father died of lung cancer, so I don't touch tobacco. As for drinking, I used to be able to do it prodigiously. Now it's rare for me to have more than a couple of drinks in a night.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

maybe all professions think they drink a lot. i'm in law school and i've read a lot of articles and stuff about how lawyers have high rates of alcoholism (not to mention depression, anxiety and ulcers).

that said, i just turned 34 and my body can barely handle what it used to be able to handle. for the most part, if i drink more than two beers on a given night, i'm going to have trouble sleeping. so unless it's a rare occasion where i'm going out drinking with the guys - which happens maybe 3-5 times a year - i stop at two. i actually kind of wish i could drink more but all in all i think it's a good thing that i stop at two 98 percent of the time.

3. boots

boots New Member

All together now... "AA"

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I think the eating epidemic in our profession is worse than the drinking.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

Hi, my name is WSKY and I'm an alcoholic.

6. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

Hi, my name is Jim and I like to drink beer after work.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That would probably make a good thread topic ;)

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I came into the business eating ... and dammit, I'm going to leave it the same way. (Probably horizontally.) ;)

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I drink a lot, but a lot less than I used to (some who know me will find this hard to believe). Four or five nights a week, it's just a few drinks, then home. My days off are worse, beer on the golf course, drinks after, etc.

If I could just wish it all away, I would; the financial drain is as big a deal as anything. It's the main reason I've cashed in several 401ks and continue to run up credit card bills. It's not just drinking that costs; I'm a lot more likely to go to the expensive steak house up the way than a fast food joint after a few drinks.

But I've had a lot of fun, and I HAVE cut way back on the shots. I find that just that makes a big difference, on the nights I have none.

And yes, to answer the original thread question: Drinking is an institutionalized part of this business for many. Kind of the, "The night life ain't no good life, but it's my life" thing.

10. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I should be done work at a reasonable hour tonight. Have tomorrow off.
    Am drinking sseveral cheap beers at a local dive tonight.

Last weekend (yes, I had a weekend off!) I drank until the early morning hours and ate the same all-day-all-night breakfast joint on consecutive nights/mornings (read: 3 a.m.)

11. WSKY

WSKY Member

sounds like you to find a women (or man).

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Speaking for myself again, only for myself.

In my early 20's, I loved to come home and light up a bong. I was even known (only by myself) to take the dugout with me on the road and get high in a bathroom stall.

About the time my daughter was born, the idea of law enforcement having some reason to come to my door and search my place was what eventually overtook the idea that I liked getting high. To be quite honest, I'd still like to smoke pot. It's just not worth the worry of getting caught to me.

But I kept going out after work to drink. And as much as I enjoyed being about five beers into the night, there was always the nagging feeling of ruining everything I'd worked for if I were to be pulled over on a routine stop some night. And finally, it just wasn't worth the loss of comfort in my personal life.

I think I can honestly say now that there's no reason why I should ever fear seeing a police car. And compared to the other feeling, that's a powerfully good feeling.

Draft saved Draft deleted