1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drew Rosenhaus's new Burger King commercial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chuck~Taylor, Aug 30, 2006.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Did they film it, or was the King put in T.O.'s place? It looks like the spots they did last year where the King was put into some spectacular plays. I think it's funny as hell.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is no way they did it without his permission. If they somehow spliced the original driveway press conference and used it for an editorial purpose, they wouldn't need his permission. But to use his likeness for commercial reasons they would need his signature. I'm sure they paid him well and thaht he filmed that for them. And the egomaniac probably loves the spot.

Not sure what is going on at 280 Park. I almost want to try to find out. I know a little bit about their licensing agreements, but I am not certain about one thing... If it had been an ad that referenced the NFL or had anything related to the NFL in it, they would have had to get the ad approved first. And the league does reject ads or make their licensees change things in them.

That ad doesn't reference the NFL at all or have any NFL teams in it, though. I am not sure if the league has individual licensing agreements that also make a licensee's OTHER ads subject to approval. My guess is not, and that is why BK can run this. Because I would bet the house there are people at the league (and the PA, too, which has Rosenhaus in front of an arbitrator right now for stealing clients) who aren't loving that ad.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Next question!

Next question!

4. I haven't seen the spot, but if the NFL mark is anywhere in it the NFL would have final approval on the spot. Footage also. Ask the local broadcast media about that. If the spot is only Rosenhaus, then he did a deal with BK and if the NFL mark is not in it, the NFL does not have final approval. I've been involved in licensing agreements and the licensor never gives up final approval on use of their mark.

That said, we are missing the bigger picture here. This could well be the launch of the Drew Rosenhaus Brand. Think Donald Trump. The Donald did it. Drew can too. Think Drew Rosenhaus Halloween costumes, bobbleheads, T-shirts, coffee mugs, posters...

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Let's hope not...funny ad, BTW.

Draft saved Draft deleted