1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dressing for NFL press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shifty Squid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I'll be covering my first NFL game on Sunday, stringing for the visiting paper. I've covered plenty of college football games and MLB games, but I've never had a chance to get to pro football. My quick question to those of you who have is about how I should dress so as not to look like an unkempt fool or a trying-too-hard lout. I'd guess khakis and a button-up would probably do, but I thought I'd check here before diving in head first. Do I need a tie? Are khakis and a polo good enough? Should I rent a tux? I just want to make sure that, if I stand out for anything, it's my writing, not my idiotic outfit. Got any tips?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Khakis and button-up will be more than sufficient.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do you have any of the visiting team's gear? Jeans with that team's replica game jersey and a baseball cap make a nice ensemble. ;D

Seriously, khakis and a polo are fine. I usually went for a button-up (though I call it a button-down), but that's more a matter of personal style. I look even worse in polos than button-downs.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Ooooo .... replica jersey. That is a good idea, outofplace.

Maybe I could get my name on the back too. And bring a shaker or two. 8)

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

anyone who shows up in an nfl pressbox not wearing a tux doesn't deserve to be there.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Black tie. With tails. And a top hat. And white gloves. (Think musical extra at the end of "Blazing Saddles.")

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should look something like this:

[​IMG]

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Is it a Pants or No Pants press box?

Regardless, be sure to wear a chili-resistant shirt to prevent embarassment during the halftime snack.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Dressing? The only dressing most guys in an NFL press box - - or any press box for that matter -- is Ranch. Or French. Or Italian.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

add a monocle and cane and you're mr. peanut!

11. I usually wear a tie and get endless shit for it, but it looks professional. It certainly isn't necessary.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Dress professionally ... a tie is a nice touch, but not necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted