1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dress Code?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Panhandle PK, Jul 5, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I'm fine with it then, I suppose. Just don't show up every day wearing the same ratty old hat, looking like you just woke up, even if that's the case.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

At my full-time gig, it's business casual Monday through Thursday in the office and just plain casual on Friday. When covering a game, it's just casual.
    Ties and suit coat are restrictive enough when you're in an office or covering one of those "formal" events. Wearing them while tromping up and down the sidelines with a camera and notebook, sometimes in the rain, is just stupid.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If it's over 90 degrees and I'm outside, it's shorts and a t-shirt, unless I'm at something that calls for something otherwise. Usually I'm just covering a camp or something, so who really cares.

If I'm in the office, I wear shorts and either a polo or button down shirt.

Basically, our is don't look like a complete freaking mess and dress for the assignment.

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

We have a lax dress code, but from time to time it was getting abused. Sports is its own animal, but news side reporters had to cover up, mostly because of out of college female writers about a year ago. Thongs are nice on the job, I get it, but the protrusion from the low rise pants was too much for our older people. The males couldn't concentrate between that and the revealing halter tops.

LOL. Of course the sports staff ogled more than most.

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I brought this up in another thread, but I actually think a return to suits, tie and a fedora wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. But there's bigger things to worry about in this industry.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Pants are for sissies and sleeves are for cowards. :D

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I feel bad for the ad guy who has to anchor our daily Webcast. I use shop lights to light the room and he's wearing a tie. I'm sure the other people in the office love the fact that the AC has to be off for a few minutes while the show is rolling.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Which brings up another point, probably worth its own thread. I'm all for papers using the Internet as much as possible, but why do so many papers think that translates into doing amateur-level TV? Find a niche. Do something that TV can't do. Quit trying to duplicate what TV does, when that industry has a 50-year head start.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did I used to work with you?

At my old job, it would routinely be around 110 degrees in the summer, so if I had an office shift, I would wear flip flops. Well, until the crazy desk guy we had narked me to the publisher about being unprofessional. Of course, this is the same guy who at 3 p.m. would be screaming the fuck word loud enough for folks 100 yards away at the front of the office to hear. Apparently that wasn't unprofessional.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

From Esquire's "The Rules":

• It's 16 percent more difficult to respect a man once you've seen his toes.

http://www.esquire.com/style/Summerrules0707

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Well, I'm convinced.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

"We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son."

Draft saved Draft deleted