1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreamgirls: smash hit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Really? I thought he was pretty good in several movies: Mr. Saturday Night and Forget Paris, to name two.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Jim Carrey is a lot like Robin Williams in many ways.

Williams should have won for at least one of the following: Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poets Society and/or The Fisher King. He didn't because he was a comic or at least perceived to be nothing but a comic. In fact, he was a very talented actor.

His award for God Will Hunting, while deserved, really was more of a career achievement.

Carrey should have won for The Truman Show or Man On The Moon. How he didn't win for the latter still is shocking because he became Andy Kaufmann in that film.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't see MOTM, so I won't comment on whether Carrey should have won, but there were some heavyweights who were nominated that year. Russell Crowe (The Insider), Denzel (The Hurricane), Kevin Spacey (American Beauty, for which he won) all had major hits and I think Sean Penn got a nom that year as well.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It was a tough year for Best Actor, but I saw The Insider, American Beuaty and Man on the Moon. While all were strong, Jim Carrey's performance was head and shoulders above the rest. Any A-list actor could have cast for The Insider and American Beauty. Name me someone else who could have played Andy Kaufmann.

What makes it more frsutrating is that Hollywood would later reward Reese Witherspoon for basically impersonating June Carter Cash in a movie. I guess they didn't count Legally Blonde I and II against her.

5. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Williams was tremendous in Good Will Hunting. It's probably one of my favorite performances of the last 10 years or so...

I'll be curious if Little Miss Sunshine gets as much love as Alma thinks it will... I thought it was a good film, but nothing special...

I saw a preview for The Good Shepherd today. I can't wait for that one...

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good Will Hunting was a gigantic disappointment. I'm still convinced Affleck and Damon winning best screenplay was a mistake, that the presenter meant to read another name but screwed it up (a la Jack Palance and Marisa Tomei, supposedly).

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

IIRC, Ed Norton originally was cast to play Kaufman because of his past work with Milos Forman. He passed, though.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No.... no.... no.....no

Jim Carrey did a dead-on mimic of Kaufman, but his name has never deserved to be within five zip codes of an Oscar nom.

Williams, despite his mugging attempts in some dramas, definitely deserved for GWH.

And Murphy deserved ... something... for the dinner scene The Nutty Professor.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I have a feeling Apocalypto will overcome all of the Gibsonisms and at least be nominated. The reviews so far have been too good for it not to be.

Oh, and let's get Steve Carrell an Oscar to go with that Emmy.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Somebody should do something about that wig...

Draft saved Draft deleted