1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreamgirls: smash hit?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that Murray is long overdue for an Oscar... As much as I like Steve Martin, I can't think of anything he's done recently that is Oscar-worthy...

Billy Crystal on the other hand, is a horrendous actor... He's a great Oscar host, but that's where it ends...

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I think Steve Martin was hoping Shopgirl would be his Oscar foray. If only the Academy didn't hate comedies, he'd have won one in the 80s.

As far as Crystal goes, I thought he deserved a nomination for When Harry Met Sally and Mr. Saturday Night, but maybe that's just me.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Murphy's not winning the Oscar. If the Academy can't get past Jim Carrey talking out his ass, it sure as hell won't give an Oscar to the guy who made "Norton my friend how would you like to fuck me up the ass?" part of the lexicon for anyone 35 or younger.

That, and Pluto Nash. And the transvestite thing. Not in that order.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The difference with Carrey was that he was such an overnight success doing something that the Academy thought was beneath them with movies like Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber etc... People have said that the Academy has black-balled Tom Cruise because they don't like his antics and think that things have come too easy to him... I don't know if I believe that, even though I thought Cruise should have won twice, for Born on the 4th and Magnolia...

Murphy has made more than his share of bad movies, but he's paid his dues...

Carrey should have been nominated for Truman Show and Man in the Moon.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I absolutely believe the Academy blackballs certain actors and that it has an extremely long memory.

And while this sounds like the out-of-nowhere star turn that gets the Academy in a masturbatory lather...unfortunately for Murphy, this is a comeback from some self-inflicted wounds, not just a long break in which he did nothing at all. He's also the type of guy who, as noted earlier in the thread, is a prime candidate to just not show up on Oscar night. He doesn't realize the gravitas of the Oscars, so why should the pretentious bastards even nominate him?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I listened to Jennifer Hudson's version of "You're gonna love me" today and saw Jennifer Holliday's version on youtube from the 82 Tony's...
    Hudson is good. Very good. But Holliday has such raw passion and power in her voice ..
    It will be good, but not as good as the play. But then again, I thought the first movie The Producers was far better than the play or movie

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Folks, the best movies are yet to come, and one of them is directed by Clint Eastwood. Yep.

Letters From Iwo Jima was suddenly stuck into 2006 roster for awards consideration. It started by winning National Board of Review best film award. I tell you now - it's outstanding. Made at the same time as Flags of Our Fathers.

Dreamgirls is a hit. Not better than Chicago, but a hit.

If I were predicting Oscar noms today, given the movies I've seen and what I've heard it'd look like this:

Picture: Iwo Jima, The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls, The Queen

Actor, DiCaprio (Departed or Blood Diamond) Watanabe (Iwo Jima) Whitaker (Last King of Scotland), Smith (The Pursuit of Happyness), O'Toole (Venus)

Actress: Mirren (The Queen) Dench (Notes on a Scandal) Blanchett (Notes On A Scandal), Cruz (Volver), Watts (The Painted Veil)

Supporting Actor: Carell (Little Miss) Nicholson (Departed) Hounsou (Blood Diamond), Murphy (Dreamgirls) Arkin (Little Miss)

Supporting Actress: Hudson (Dreamgirls) Breslin (Little Miss), O'Hara (For Your Consideration) Farmiga (Breaking and Entering or The Departed) Kukuchi (Babel)

Director: Eastwood (Iwo Jima) Scorsese (The Departed) Condon (Dreamgirls) Almodovar (Volver) Frears (The Queen)

Picture: Sadly, The Departed.
    Director: Scorsese
    Actor: Whitaker
    Actress: Mirren
    Supporting Actor: Hounsou
    Supporting Actress: Hudson. Maybe Breslin.
    Volver will win foreign.
    Patrick Marber (Notes) will win adapted screenplay
    Michael Arndt (Little Miss) will win original screenplay

Apocalypto is extraordinary, but will be rightfully blacklisted for picture and director (both Mel) and not recognized for its acting because it's not really...acting. It just is.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

35 or younger?

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe he means those who were 35 or younger when "Delirious" came out.

What about Adam Beach as Ira Hayes in "Faith of Our Fathers"?

11. Nah, he's gonna bring Johnny Gill.

Seriously, Jennifer Hudson is a talented singer and all kinds of gorgeous. Although I hate movie theaters and the people that inhabit them with a passion, I just might go check this out.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

DG was the first Broadway show I caught (original cast). There is not a hope in Hell that the movie will be even a patch on the play. Fourth row, centre.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted