1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreamgirls -- anyone else have this experience?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

At Monday afternoon's showing of Dreamgirls, the crowd I saw the movie with started whooping during Jennifer Hudson's rendition of "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" and broke out into applause when she finished.
    I've never seen that before. Has anyone else who's seen this movie had the same thing happen?
    It got me to thinking that Jennifer Holliday singing that on Broadway must have been a killer moment. Wish I'd seen that show at the time. Anyone lucky enough to have done that?
    Dreamgirls was a very good movie that could have been great. Thought it had a hard time establishing the premise -- was the movie about the Dreamgirls? Was it about the motown-type studio Jamie Foxx's character built. But ultimately worth every penny.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some clapping when I saw it. It was a great performance. I felt like clapping, too.

Disagree on the premise. I thought it was about how far people are willing to go to sell out for success.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw it in NYC, just a few blocks from where Dreamgirls played on Broadway. There was applause after almost every song, not just Jennifer Hudson's "And I'm Telling You..." It was a little strange.

I was one of those lucky enough to see Jennifer Holliday in the original show. I was only about 13 at the time and I remember how amazing it was. The whole show and her performance stayed with me for many years.

As for the movie, I liked it, but not as much as I thought or hoped I would. I thought Jennifer Hudson was outstanding...as long as she was singing. I thought her acting was flat. Eddie Murphy, on the other hand, was great all around.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've heard the applause for Hudson after that number has been pretty universal. Makes me consider going to see it today.

Suck it, American Idol haters!

:p

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What year did Ms. Hudson win the American Idol title, Ms. jag?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

She didn't. But she was a contestant.

Season 1 or 2, I think.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just making the point that the fact that the most talented singer in that show's history didn't win is not exactly a plug for the show.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, let's not quite make THAT jump yet.

A.) No one knew who she was two months ago, so there are plenty of others from that show with time to prove themselves better.

B.) Even she's admitted she's improved in the 4-5 years since that show taped.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I like Clay Aiken a lot better.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My wife and mother-in-law saw it and the same thing happened with the applause. I'm sure I'll want to see this...on cable.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow, does THAT explain a lot. ;)

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I saw it prior to opening with a preview audience and yes, the audience burst into applause several times throughout the film. I happen to be a big Dreamgirls fan, so I thought the movie was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted