1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z's (Ninth annual) NFL TV Commentator Rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Feb 8, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

I thought he might put the Rosen/Baldinger team higher, as in my mind, they were the most consistent crew all season. And is anyone experiencing schadenfreude about Bill Maas' rough trip down the elevator shaft?

I do think his number-one choice is kind of unfair, seeing as they only called one game together all season.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wow. Will Tony K go after him like he went after the Post TV/radio guy?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Z should have compiled Kornheiser's 10 most insipid observations of the season.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The MNF analysis was excellent - and true. It's funny how so many posters on this board will talk about integrity, and here they're lauding Kornheiser, who very well could analyze the game but prefers, instead, to run monologues. Few of which are interesting, many of which go on and on through several plays.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

tommyp: When you see the ideal, you praise it to the skies.

TK was born for PTI. He drives people to bang their heads against the wall on MNF. If he doesn't like some of the responses provoked by his work in that particular venue, he can (a) grow a thicker skin, and/or (b) look at that $100k game check, and STFU.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

When's the last time before now Kornheiser received hard constructive criticism of his work? He's been in an air-tight cocoon for 20 years.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Wow. I am always partial to the Z, a Columbia man of course, and he has done another great review of the NFL crews.

Of course, just love his first pick - Ness, Jaws, Verm...I remember flipping channels that night, probably a baseball pennant night, and finding the NFL game. Watched a bit, listened some and then realized that the announcers were so so so good as a team (humble, accurate, prep'd, game first, teamwork, etc) that it was similar to entering some new dimension of viewing a football game. Like your first taste of chocolate mousse.

And his last group, the reg MNF crew. Wow, he took a big shot at them. And he was bullseye. I wish he could have kept going on that but he ends it suddenly.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Compounded by the fact no links to the old ones were provided, as in years past.

Bollocks.

9. tommyp

tommyp Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/01/26/announcer.grades/index.html (last year)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/dr_z/01/12/drz.announcers/index.html (2005)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/02/10/insider/index.html (2004)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/2003/02/04/drz_insider/index.html (2003, with links to prior years atop story)

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I happen to like Buck-Aikman a lot more than Dr. Z does.

I apparently don't have the problems with Buck (or Jim Nantz, for that matter) that a lot of people here do.

I think their biggest sin is that people see so much of them that there is a backlash.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm with you on Buck. I think he does a nice job telling the pbp story. And I would agree that overexposure creates some of the negativity toward him.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What I don't like about Buck is that he tries sooooo hard to show how smart he is. "Look at me, I know what I'm talking about! And I'm funny too, real funny!"

Draft saved Draft deleted