1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z's (Ninth annual) NFL TV Commentator Rankings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Feb 8, 2007.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

This is the column of the year for all of us who bitch and moan about NFL commentary during the season. He lists grades for play-by-play teams. Highly recommended read; too long to post here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/02/08/announcers/index.html

Edit: Fixed

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Your link is busted.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/02/08/announcers/index.html

It's pretty harsh. His last line in the story is that "it made me sick", referring to the Theisman-Kornheiser pairing. I kind of like Kornheiser in that role and just wish they got rid of Theisman.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not as good as previous years -- it felt a bit rushed.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Seems like he reviewed fewer teams than in years past, too.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I can see how viewers like Kornheiser, but for a hard core charter, and football fan, like the Z man, well, it's like having Ryan Seacrest as your rabbi if you're an orthodox jew.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pretty harsh, but oh so true. You know, he could have mentioned Tony K's fantasy football team.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So much lovely stuff, and the coup de grace . . . print revenge against incompetent electronic talent.

9. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No doubt that Nessler, Jaws and Vermeil deserved the highest ranking. I was hoping ESPN would've completely shuffled the lineup after that doubleheader.

Nessler is very good, Jaworski does Tampa Bay Bucs pre-season games and he's excellent because he's always keeping his eye on who's standing out at the key positions as the game goes on the backups enter.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's dead on about Nessler-Jaworski-Vermeil. Great call.

11. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I think he rated the MNF crew too highly.

12. Annual must-read. Another good one.
    I rarely disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted