1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr Z vs Peter King

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll clarify before I get ripped... Ludwig is a good guy, but he may be the loudest writer I've ever been around...

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

What about your boy from J-ville? :D :D :D

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think Peter King should give up his spot so they can add a second female selector-

21 would be perfect.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The point about the Rooney rule isn't the farce, but the unfairness and insult. If Monte Kiffen were black, and/or Art Shell were white we would all be sure that racism was the only reason they are each where they are. 2 years ago all we kept hearing was how backwards all the white capitalists who own NFL teams were for not giving Ted Cottrel a HC job. Where is he now? All owners want to win. They will hire the coach who gives them the best chance to do it (that they can afford). If the charade was ever defensable, it's time has passed.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please, they're still quivering over two black coaches in the Super Bowl.

Women don't have the necessities yet.

6. Boom_70

As best I can tell there are no Hispanics in the group .Raul Alegre will never get in at this rate.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm trying to picture Sid in the deliberations.

Sid: If we don't put Stu Voigt in the Hall of Fame, you can all suck my balls. Purple People Eaters my ass, he was the 70s Vikings.
    ANY other selector: Uh Sid, Stu isn't one of the 15 finalists.
    Sid: What? I didn't hear you. I was on my way out the door to go spend $1,000 at a peep show, just because I can.

Oh you didn't know? Unlike the lot of you losers, I'm a TV pitch man, the sound you just heard was my octogenarian ass getting paid again. I'm going to blow a small percentage of the money on a large percentage of South Beach hookers.

I'll expect that Voigt announcement sometime around the time Keisha completes licking the circumference of my wrinkled nuts on 7th and Collins. That's right. I'm older than every building in the Art Deco district, but I still get my freak on. So everyone go fuck yourselves and enjoy pounding your puds talking about Roger Wehrli or whatever it is you assholes do.

8. Boom_70

God that's funny and I don't even know Sid or ever heard him speak.

Next year Sid will be pushing Gary Larson and Dave Osborn

9. Boom_70

Here is good example of what Piotr refers too. If Ted Cottrell was a good as the 49ers all said how come he was never hired?

MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- I'm going to say something that is bound to generate a ton of what-an-idiot-you-are e-mail. I welcome said mail.

I think the African-American coaches who were asked to interview with the Detroit Lions but refused because Steve Mariucci had a near-lock on the job made a big mistake.

I'd been thinking this since five black coaches each said no to an interview request from Lions CEO Matt Millen, thus igniting the hot-stove-league firestorm around the issue. I even asked Millen about it, and he said he had tried to make the same argument, the contention being that black coaches know there are 32 white men, the owners of NFL franchises, holding those 32 sacred jobs hostage. To get one of those jobs, you have to break the code. You have to get inside the circle. You can only get inside the circle one way -- by meeting these men, impressing them and convincing them you ought to be in their little club. And even if they don't hire you, you're three percent closer (1/32nd) to your goal than you were. You've met with one of the gatekeepers of these jobs, and hopefully made an impression on him. And when a vacancy occurs somewhere else, the owner with the opening then might call Millen or one of the Fords (Bill Sr., or Jr.) and ask about you.

This was reinforced last week when I talked to Ted Cottrell, the Jets defensive coordinator who was spurned by San Francisco in favor of Dennis Erickson. Now, the prevailing opinion is that Cottrell was just a flunky keeping the seat warm until the Niners found a white coach they liked better. That he was a phony leading candidate. I can say with certainty that this is total horsecrap. Dr. John York, who, with his wife, Denise DeBartolo York, rides herd over the 49ers, was the gatekeeper to this job. San Francisco general manager Terry Donahue would identify the leading candidates, then run the list through York, and the two would decide on a coach together. (Team consultant Bill Walsh was, shall we say, "consulted." But this hire was not his call. He advised both men.)

Had Erickson blown the interview with York and Donahue nine days ago, or had some red flags gone up when Erickson met them, this would have been Cottrell's job. Two separate Niners sources, including York himself, told me this. Three times York dined alone with Cottrell -- breakfast, lunch and dinner -- and they didn't talk about the blue-plate specials. They discussed the nuts and bolts of the job: which coaches Cottrell would want to keep, how he'd fit in the strict front-office setup. "I really, really liked Ted Cottrell," said York, "and I think he's going to make a very good head coach in the league. And I'll tell anyone who asks me that. I will recommend him highly."

My point? That now the 49ers, unless three men (York, Donahue and Walsh) are lying, have a very high opinion of Cottrell. And when the next head-coaching position becomes available, Cottrell will have a much better chance at the job after going through the interviewing process with San Francisco.

"There are far more coaches than jobs," said Walsh. "Ted Cottrell is an outstanding man. I'm going to do everything I can to help him become a head coach. In the final analysis, he was the other candidate for this job. It was a tough decision for everybody, because Ted is really outstanding. But Dennis has a track record and he's proven himself."

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand this at all. The Rooney rule is unfair and an insult? Is it any more insulting than the NFL's long history, in which there were no black assistant and head coaches? Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Romeo Crennel, Marvin Lewis... If this is 1988, those men aren't coaching in the NFL, and they have no hope of coaching in the NFL, because there has never been a black coach. Obviously, left to their own devices, owners weren't scouring the earth for the coaches who gave them the best chance to do it, as you put it, because while 70 percent of the league's players were black, 0 percent of the coaches were. Unless you believe that there were no blacks capable of being good coaches...

The league endeavored to do something about that. It instituted the minority intern program and that got blacks into assistant coaching positions. And as "insulting" as you find the Rooney Rule, it still coincides with the fact that instead of zero black head coaches, there were seven this year, including Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sid Hartman's HOF vote has been brought to you by Sun Airlines...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bubs... Sid was perfect, except there were no references to today's sports hero or a close, personal friend...

Draft saved Draft deleted