1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Z -- Media Critic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 8, 2007.

1. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/02/08/announcers/index.html

Like everything else on SI.com, it's too damn long. Like everything by Dr. Z, it's hyper-serious performance art. (No, I do not feel the broadcast has suffered if the blockers on the kickoff team are not identified and praised.) And is there any doubt that "the many charts (I used for) my Ninth Annual" column about announcers should be taken literally?
    Many? Charts?
    Dude, go lie on the beach.

2. And yes, I am an idiot.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/37380/

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Z has an advanced sense of self-importance.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Z has issues -- and has written some things I found truly repulsive -- but his historical body of work
    forces me to cut him incredible slack.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As I wrote when I started the threads in 2005 and 2006, this is probably my favorite column of his. Sure, he's nuts with all of the charts and stuff. But it is good to read about someone criticizing the announcers for getting basic things wrong and pushing a storyline over what takes place on the field.

As an aside, I'm friends with a number of former Columbia football players. Dr. Z, a former player, was the speaker at their annual alumni dinner a few years ago. Apparently, he can drink as well as he can chart a game.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Any column that praises "Baldy" Baldinger lacks credibility.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Zimmerman did a regular wine column for The New York Post. He loves talking about wine.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Aw, it was still a nice little riff on Dr. Z.

Besides, way too many people get worked up over whether or not somebody else started a thread on the same subject.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Dr. Z writes football for a living, for one of the foremost outlets for sports in this country.

I sometimes wish I were motivated enough to be as anal and thorough on my beats as he is on the NFL.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No worries. Besides, rare are the self-reported D_Bs. :D

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is this like the college that self-reports its violations to the NCAA? Does Fenian only lose a scholarship or two? Is he still eligible for the SportsJournalists.com postseason tournaments?

12. Mistakes were made.

Draft saved Draft deleted