1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Phil is an annoying pain

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's strange -- he was very, very respected in that field (which is how he got to know Oprah). I guess that the cash was too good to pass up.

2. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Question: Is this a consequence of Dr. Phil having to appeal to a mass (i.e. idiotic) audience to keep his job, rather than any slip on his part?

Discuss

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

The link isn't working, but there was a great cover story in The New Republic a while back about Dr. Phil. It was called "Dr. Evil".
    The success of him and Dr. Laura boggles my mind. The whole Britney thing showed what a total unethical media whore he really is.

4. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

He prepped Oprah when the Texas Cattleman's Association came after her for her comments on beef. Oprah-of course-prevailed, and she sang his praises on her show, the ratings spiked north and *poof* an ass was born.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He retired his medical license several years ago, therefore no doctor-patient covenants were violated. Just decency.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I kind of like the show, actually. He gives people no-bullshit advice without being abrasive just to be sensational. He actually seems to be a smart, reasonable person who sees all sides -- something TV could use more of. I know a hell of a lot of people who I wish could spend an hour with him and get a reality check.

Of course he has to stretch for some topics, but contrary to what someone said, I don't ever remember him featuring or even talking about celebrities. I'm guessing most people who rip him have never seen the show. I watch sometimes, and I don't even consider it a guilty pleasure.

(And as for the Britney thing, I guess the families have been friends for a while and the mom called him for help. It didn't work. There was never any plan for her to be on the show, and he can't treat her because they have a personal relationship, and because he's no longer a licensed therapist. He went on the shows today to refute all the stupid tabloid crap about it. And as far as I know he hasn't said word one about anything that happened in the hospital.)

Rip away.

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

He's never had a medical license; he's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist. But you are correct that he's not licensed to practice.

8. I like that rabbi guy Oprah has giving advice a lot more. I think he's got his own show on A&E or something.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for telling us about Dr. Phil being a pain, Captain Obvious. :D

10. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

Dr. Phil, Oprah ... any of that afternoon talk garbage is a perfect substitute for syrup of ipecac. It'll make you vomit without medicine.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wish Britney would put Dr. Phil's fat face between her ample thighs, slap him silly with her mud flaps and, then pop his head like a zit.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

My dad likes to watch his show with the volume turned up really loud.
    Don't know why. It's bad enough he likes the TV really loud, even worse that he does it with crappy shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted