1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. J - the Special

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Mecca has pretty wood. Loved those diamonds and the font they used for MECCA.

2. Songbird

Sikma, Mokeski and Krystowiak on the same team ...

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wish they would have done a couple of minutes on the Devil's Threesome with Drip and Samantha Stevenson.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Krystkowiak didn't come to MKE until late November of '87. I think you saw Breuer in that video and mistook him for Krystkowiak. I at first had a similar flash.

5. Songbird

Breuer! Such a different time.

Sikma went nuts in that game 21 boards, 18 points.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Buddy was a huge Dr J fan so went to see the Sixers and Dr. J's last game in Oakland, waited for him afterwards to show and classy guy that he is, J said would not do any autographs but would shake everyone's hand; amazing how huge his right hand was; gracious and warm as well.

7. old_tony

Yeah. Just watching that last few minutes of that game it struck me how well Sikma was still moving. He was really going and getting the ball off the boards.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Doc's hands are threatening to eat his face.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Didn't you have a sidebar on the Brewers comes from behind win to give them 13-0 too? April '87 was a helluva' career for you.

10. old_tony

I sometimes wonder if hand size is more important than a lot of other qualities. Dr. J, Favre, Rodgers all are known to have quite large hands. Big hands are huge in sports where you have to handle a ball -- particularly football and basketball. Not so much in baseball.

In football, having a huge hand that controls the ball lessens the need for bigger muscles further up the arm. And if you have strong muscles up and throughout the arm, then you become known for your cannon arm and accuracy. Huge hands give you control of the ball without having to squeeze nearly as hard.

In basketball, the ability to palm and control the ball going up to the basket is essential. At the same time, while Dr. J was an adequate outside shot, I'm not sure huge hands help the outside shot as much.

11. old_tony

Damn, good memory there (though the come-from-behind game was actually the 12th of 13 in a row). Now 26 years later I forgot how those two events were not even two weeks apart. Thanks for the memories.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Erving's hands have been estimated to have a span of 11-13 inches -- basically, he has Shaq's hands on a smaller body.

Draft saved Draft deleted