1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Boyce Watkins calls out Dick Vitale for 'inmates' reference.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Devin, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin Member

Sports commentator Dick Vitale was on the ESPN show "Mike & Mike in the Morning" talking about the possibilities of trading of NBA superstar Carmelo Anthony. The hosts were discussing the rumor that Anthony may copy LeBron James and join forces with two other superstars headed to the same team.

In reference to his frustration about the idea of men like Anthony choosing their own fate, Vitale said that such moves were like "inmates controlling the asylum."

What in the f&%* did he just say?

It was interesting to hear a group of white males agree that black men choosing their own professional fate reminded them of a pack of out-of-control inmates.

http://www.bvonsports.com/2011/02/15/sports-commentator-dick-vitale-refers-to-nba-players-as-inmates/

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, I've never heard anyone use such a phrase. Where did Vitale ever come up with that?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like Dr. Watkins was desperately looking for something to be offended by and this was the best he could do.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

With apologies to the muppet two spots above, all I can say is you've gotta be fucking kidding me. This is a controversy?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who the heck is Boyce Watkins?
    "Dr. Boyce Watkins is the Finance Professor for Black America and one of the most impactful social commentators in the country." - Rev. Al Sharpton

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I use that expression all the time.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tail wagging the dog...

Oh shit, here comes PETA.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm probably the chief of the SportsJournalists.com political correctness police, and this is a ridiculous "controversy." Someone would say the same if it were a hockey player. If it says anything, it speaks to how we look at the peasant laborers in this country as compared to almighty, benevolent management.

9. Devin

Devin Member

I'm black, and even I was wondering where the controversy was.

I guess that Egyptian uprising has embolden people to find all sorts of reasons to start a revolution.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Billy Packer wonders what the problem is.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dr. Watkins should accuse Vitale of being a cliche-ridden fucktard!

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Coke Zero >>>> Keyboard

Draft saved Draft deleted