1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyle vs. Finebaum. Let's get it on!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Look at the big brain on Shaggy! :D

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What a tough guy. You all ought to be quivering and quaking.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. sg86

sg86 Member

I guess we have to take him seriously now since he traded in his K.D. Lang glasses for an Affliction starter kit.

The level of man you're dealing with here can easily be summed up by the fact that his general response to criticism of any kind is usually "You wanna fight?"

Doyel is a guy who was likely made fun of for being an epic loser for the first 2-3 decades of his life and then got a job writing for CBSSports.com at which point his "balls" dropped and he started getting confrontational with everyone.

No one thinks you're scary, no one thinks you're threatening, no one thinks you're going to write them into oblivion.

Buy as many Affliction shirts as you can. Fill your entertainment center with MMA instructional DVDs. It doesn't matter, Gregg. At the end of the day, everyone knows you're a joke.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Every time the Doyle conversation comes up, I think of a long-ago conversation between two veteran reporters in my newsroom discussing a completely over-the-top local talk radio jock.

Reporter 1: Your mistake is taking him seriously. It's an act, an on-air persona designed to drive ratings, and a pretty successful one, given that we're talking about him again.

Reporter 2: No, that's where you're mistaken. Let's say I can make a ton of money by pretending to be the guy at the carnival who eats feces. It's a complete act, but it gets me a ton of attention, and I make a really good living at it. I make more money than the ringmaster and the lion tamer and become nationally famous as the guy who eats feces, and I'm laughing all the way to the bank, because I don't really eat feces. Yet, for the rest of my life, most people will really believe I made a living eating feces. At some point, my kid is going to Google me and be left wondering. Yeah, it was all an act, and I made good money, but - in the end - act or not, I was the guy who ate feces.

Reporter 1: Yeah, I guess I can't argue that he's always going to be (local radio host), World Class a@@hole to most folks, even if he's really not.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed... they are two of a kind

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

At what point do you say, "You know what, self, I might be a total asswipe. I am a fortysomething who has a Travis Bickel 'do, I study the paper with a steely scowl and there's a chance that I am a menace and a turd and a scourge, in my very own 'unique' way."

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

LJB, I'd say Doyel has reached that point and Finebaum passed it years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted