1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyle vs. Finebaum. Let's get it on!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

I don't care what this guy says, he comes off as a huge homer.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't judging him by his hair. ... but something other than the years caught up with that noggin.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is that impact font on the hedline in the paper he's reading?

4. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

I'd actually never heard of this writer before—don't go to cbs' site much. But I hated this column, then went to his bio—which sorta speaks for itself:

ou dislike me. That's OK. That's why you're here, right? You were reading something I wrote and you simply had to know: Who is this knucklehead?

This knucklehead is 39. Yeah, I look younger. But I'm not. I've worked for the Tampa Tribune, Miami Herald and Charlotte Observer. Once worked for ESPN.com. They asked me, not the other way around. And I left ESPN.com in 2003 for CBSSports.com.

This knucklehead graduated from Florida. So I'm a Gator homer? Don't think so. Read this and tell me I'm a Florida homer.

Basically, take what you think you know about me -- your assumptions about the typical sports writer -- and start over. I really am that unbiased, I really am that athletic, and I really will beat you up. I started boxing at 36, had four amateur fights and won all four (three knockouts), and then retired because the pros I spar with kept breaking my nose. So I take it back: Maybe you can beat me up.

But only if you're a pro boxer.

And a good one.

But enough about you.

My likes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's on. Esquire. Eminem. Tupac. Sparring. That stud Matt Taibbi. Dogs.

Dislikes: Chuck Palahniuk, when he's off. Sports Illustrated. Beastie Boys. Kanye. Surfing. That idiot George Will. People.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Seems like there are some serious underlying anger issues at work here.

Dislikes people? Shit. Move to a deserted island and beat up palm trees with your "three knockout" fight record.

Pot, kettle.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OK, I remember a little more now. He likes (liked?) to box. There might have been a few threads here about him 18-24 months ago.

(But he gets points for liking Taibbi and Esquire.)

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, boy! Another tease.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/coming_tuesday_paul_finebaum_o_1.html

Ugh.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I loved this.

It's easy to make that comment when there's no chance SI would come calling.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The guy has a schtick. It's worked out pretty well. Good for him. I don't get why people are so bothered by this.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maybe Doyel will come to Birmingham this week. I'll be there, as will many on this site, as will Finebaum.

Somewhere, I'm guessing Paul's getting a big kick out of this. Will give him more material and listeners.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because he represents the worst of what this business has become. Either show some dignity and get nowhere, or parade yourself around as the world's biggest asshole and get a bigger platform. I don't know if it's worse to think it's a dishonest shtick or he's actually this miserable in real life.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doyel likes Matt Taibbi. Fine.
    Calls George Will an "idiot?" He may not agree with George Will on anything, but Mr. Will is an educated man with certain views. One more indication that Doyel loves that pot and kettle thing.
    And "I can beat you up?" Does his boss (Mr. Stanke, I'm talking to you) enjoy the fact that one of his writers threatens pretty much any fan who reads that bio.
    Doyel is without a doubt the biggest tool in our industry. And I'm including Mariotti, LeBetard and the two dwarves.

Draft saved Draft deleted