1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel rips not just 1 but 3 of SJ.s "favorites"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

A perfect parable that sums up not only his writing but his life in general.

2. Link to Doyel, pls?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For those in the DC area, Doyle will be on the Mike O'Meara show again today....not sure what time, but he's usually on between 4-5 p.m.

You can also listen online (if you dare) at www.wjfk.com.

This guy was a debacle last time he was on the show, but the hosts ate him up. Ugh.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Desperately.

5. housejd

housejd Member

Here's a link to Doyel: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11595980

Overall, I didn't think the column had a poor premise at all. In fact, I thought it was a pretty interesting take, though that's not saying I completely agree with it. The thing I have a problem with is drawing other columnists in when it's really not necessary. Just looks bad.

Also, with some solid reporting, such as maybe actually talking to the homeless he uses to back up his argument, I think it could have been a really good column. Just another case of making yourself the most important personality in a column when you should be focusing on building your opinion around the characters surrounding the story.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Why does CBS use Seth Davis from SI and not Doyel or the college basketball writer from the website. Why promote SI.com for free.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And yet we have another thread about him.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The problem is not that Doyel rips. After all, old greats like Jim Murray weren't known for holding back. The problem is that Doyel has no skill at it. He rips for rippings' sake, with no wit or charm to back it up and make himself more curmudgeonly than asshole-y. Not that he cares for my advice, but if he were less obvious about ripping things just for the sake of going against the grain (and thus presumably making an easy name for himself), he would be a more entertaining read.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not a fan of Albom, but it was a good column.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Please have your boss pop you in the back of the head for me. Twice.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Poynter links a quote from Glenn Beck: "I'm a crybaby. I cry at commercials. I am 90 percent chick in that territory. I'm such an easy target. I'm surprised SNL hasn't come after me." He is begging for attention, even of the mocking kind, just for the validation he'd get from one of the cool crowd.

Gregg Doyel: the Glenn Beck of sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted