1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel looks up hate-mail authors and posts personal facts in reply column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beer_Baron, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

How do we feel about this? In my opinion this seems like rather petty behavior for a national columnist on a major site like sportsline.

http://sportsline.com/columns/story/NCAAB_hate_mail

2. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Eh, I'm not surprised since he made a crack about the OO's on Arizona's jerseys last year to honor Shawntanice Polk.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

honestly, in cyber space, he's doing his job and I love it. How many of us WISH we could do that.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Doyel better be damn sure he's got the right people when he searches online. Otherwise, I could see someone getting their panties in a twist.

Oh, and the column is mean and petty and does nothing but throw excrement on the profession. Thanks for stopping, Doyel.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agree with the last two posts.

6. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Fabulous analogy.

My biggest problem with it is that here we have Doyel, who works for a massive multimedia conglomerate, basically kicking sand in the face of the Average Joe.

The Polk thing is a flabbergasting combination of unrestrained snarkdom and journalistic laziness.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Best I could do. The original excerpt was removed from the archives ...

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/media/storage/paper997/news/2006/03/24/Sports/Death.Is.No.Joke.Mr.Doyel-1715995.shtml?norewrite200610051716&sourcedomain=wildcat.arizona.edu

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Wow.... and I thought Jay Mariotti was thin-skinned.
    Doyel makes him look like John freaking Wayne.

9. This column is borderline spooky.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Fucking with a lawyer is always a good idea, Gregg.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

12. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

It's far more effective to shut down detractors by backing up your claims rather than making (borderline stalker) personal attacks. In the case of the letters cursing at him, he would have made a much bigger statement by simply posting the email and exposing the writer for being a nitwit. His approach makes him look like the winner of a shiteating contest. You may have won, but you still ate shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.