1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel eviscerates Tedford

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 18, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/14316401/thanks-to-east-coast-bias-tedfords-cheating-goes-unnoticed

Damn it, Doyel, why do you do this? That's about 3-4 columns in a row where I've agreed with you. I hate myself for that.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Jeff Tedford is losing his mind. The whole thing about the kicker is such B.S. because Oregon killed the clock deep in Cal territory to end it anyway. They could have scored in about four seconds if they wanted to.

A few weeks ago Cal lost to USC 48-14. It was 42-0 at halftime. After the game, Tedford said, "We won the second half."

Good column. The fakes were chicken-shit. Might be the kind of thing that gets rich donors to pony up the buyout money, too.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with Doyel on this one. Granted, I'm a bit biased. Earlier in the game there was another "injured" player and Tedford and the rest of the staff were laughing when the guy got to the sidelines. And yes, it was a two point margin because Oregon ran out the clock deep in Cal territory. There's no blaming the kicker.

For the record, Stanford pulled the same fake injury shit every bit as blatantly as Cal, if not worse. A guy got carried off the field and the TV crew got a tight shot of Chip Kelly screaming "Just you watch! Just you watch!" at the ref. 30 seconds later the guy was back in the game.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Good column. Only a couple of years ago, Tedford was king in Berkeley. He is in a downward spiral, but they've ponied up for the stadium renovation and probably can't get rid of him.
    One more question, what are the ethics for feigning to be a tough guy?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So Tedford recruits soccer players?

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just jaded from being around too much SEC athletics most of my life, but this seems to me to be a lot of noise about not very much.

OK, so they faked injuries, BFD. Yeah, it's a little chickenshit, but it's up to the refs to call a penalty on it, and if they don't then it's just good gamesmanship.

When I think of cheating in college sports I think of $1,000 handshakes, 19-year-old point guards driving Escalades and five-star recruits being treated to lap dances by strippers with big titties.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Doyel bet on Oregon.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Cal's in a better place than they were pre-Tedford, for sure, but just hasn't been able to take it to the next level.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Starting at split end for the Cal Bears, at 5-9, 160 pounds, from Praia, Cape Verde ... Nani!

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure Tedford is the first coach to ever think of such a thing.

I love Doyel's columns. I love the rage. I wish there were more columnists out there who still did it.

This one just seems like much ado about something pretty minor.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's the thing if you're a ref: How do you know for sure? You've got to stop the game if a kid is on the ground, faking or not. And the rule book says he has to sit out a play. The officials have enough to watch and keep track of than to see if No. 56 is back in on the next play. Now, if it's the same kid getting injured, then that would pop up on the radar. But it's all but impossible for the refs to keep track of this.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's also no proof it actually happened. It probably did, but short of Tedford or a player admitting it, they can't prove anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted