1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel-Conlin feud?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Sep 13, 2006.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but Bill Conlin apparently took exception to a column on Ryan Howard written by Gregg Doyel.

Doyel included the note in his mailbag. Then called Conlin a self-important blowhard.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9658867/

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think Doyel was an assclown for laying suspicion on Ryan Howard.

And I think Conlin was an assclown for writing to Doyel.

And I think Doyel was an assclown for acting like a 7-year-old in defense.

Doyel as Assclown 2, Conlin as Assclown 1.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Doyel is an ass-clown, period.

4. e4

e4 Member

damn, that guy's skin is made-for-pleasure-condom thin

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Whoa....hold on a second.

Doyel's column is right on the money. Nobody cares about Ryan Howard's home run chase because of the cheaters. Howard may or may not be a cheater, but regardless, anybody who now hits 60+ is going to have a suspicious eye cast towards him.

I can't believe a pro like Conlin would write an e-mail like that. It's petty and childish. His feelings about Howard border on unprofessional. Doyel is a national columnist for a widely-read Web site, and he can write whatever the fuck he wants.

Doyel is a great guy, by the way. Conlin has been a self-important prick for years.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for stopping by, Gregg. :D

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SJ welcomes Gregg Doyel's mom.

The only thing worse than someone who tries to be funny and fails is someone who tries to be funny, fails, and has no clue how badly he fails. That's Doyel.

If Conlin sent his response to some public mailbag, then he probably set himself up for this (altho if Doyle had a shred of professional class, he'd have responded privately). But read the other 'hate mail' sent to that column....readers who disagreed, and took the time to express their opinion. The only one 'hating' was Doyel. Is there a 'You Too Can Be Jay Mariotti!' contest we don't know about?

As for this:
    ....did you write that with a straight face?

8. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I know sports is often called the "toy department" in newspapers, but I don't exactly remember that giving its writers free license to act like babies. Conlin, no matter what his reputation may be, has a right to express his opinion (even though you kind of get a feeling that his official Phillies pom-pom was sitting right next to his computer) to Doyel, as long as he isn't flat-out mocking him in public. Doyel was not only foolish for publishing that e-mail, but he went below the belt with the constant Conlin references in all his responses to other letters. I don't even remember this in a high school paper. I think both of these guys need to take a breather in the time-out corner.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thanks ... Coke on the keyboard. ;)

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

CBS Sportsline obviously wants their columnists to do this kind of stuff. They hired Mike Freeman, who's certainly not basheful about making himself the story either.

Doyel comes off as a jerk because of the way he handled it. Had he just pointed out Conlin's lack of stories addressing the issue in the past and let Bill hang himself with his own "telltale sign" words, it would have been a lot more effective.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Doyel should get at least one of his names spelled correctly before he acts like that much of a skinless prick.

BTW: Extremely irresponsible, what he wrote.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I think Gregg was so happy to have someone notice him that he went a little overboard. Give him some time, he'll get used to it. Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted