1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doyel and Boeheim

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Different enough to warrant Boeheim's reaction?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just wish those of you on here are doing it would stop acting like this was out of character for Boeheim. That he's normally such a great guy, but this one question just rankled him.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Boeheim has been bullying reporters all season with his fake tough guy bullshit. Here is an instance where someone gave it back to him a little.

As for the deadline beat hacks, Doyel gave them a lot better anecdote that they'd have gotten without him asking that question.

No one, including Boeheim, was harmed by what occurred. I agree that he wasn't going to get a genuine answer, but you never know. Sometimes a hesitation, a pause, a moment of silence says more than words could.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

If Doyel had not been there, Boeheim would not have answered one f$#%ing question!

Not ONE!

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Different enough that, if you've said "smooch" to a coach after getting in a big argument with him, you don't drag out to Twitter your petty, juvenile point one night later.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Ironic to see Doyel attempt to tweak Boeheim via Twitter with Burke's comment.

In doing so the columnist merely reaffirmed his maturity level doesn't rise to the level of Burke's.

Burke's 20. Doyel's older. One handles himself with class. The other? Not so much.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Watching it again and knowing Boeheim's past meltdowns . . .

I'm not impressed. There's really nothing special about this one.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

His comment to Katz earlier this season was much more personal.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone else pointed out, his Katz rant was much worse. I saw him go on a rant after they made the Final Four in 1996 that was a thousand times worse than this one. I wish I remember the name of the writer it was geared at, He was from one of the NY papers and he had long hair, and Boeheim fucking shredded him seconds before the cameras came on. If memory serves, he called him "a stupid fuck".

This deal with Doyel was no big deal at all.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it is ironic. Doyel's revisiting of a poor analogy makes me wonder if his original intent was to make that comparison, along with some of the usual commentary about poor, downtrodden college athletes vs. entitled coaches. Perhaps that's why his retort to Boeheim was so quick in the press conference.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Next time Doyel fires back a retort, I hope he doesn't sound like a scared little kid.

I'm no fan of Boeheim. But talk about the game first. That's the first order of business.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Having read Doyel's theory, I could've asked a much better question than he did, although I probably would have tried to ask it outside a press conference setting...

"Coach, a few years ago at Big East media day you were talking about conference realignment and anticipating that Syracuse could be gone from the league within 5 years I believe, but that you wouldn't be around by then. Will you be back next year?"

Draft saved Draft deleted