1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

What you see in the final episode of the first series is just the tip of the iceberg. He is absolutely insane, but he knows exactly what he's doing the entire time. He's a chessmaster -- he has perfectly positioned the pieces and been working on the undoing of Sherlock Holmes for a good three years (the first episode of series two takes up an entire calendar year and if you consider that he had his hand in everything going on in the entire first series, it's been going on for awhile) and when it finally comes to the climax, it's so brilliant.

Andrew Scott has been lauded for his performance as Moriarty, with good reason. He tiptoes that line between normal and completely off his rocker with such precision that it's just incredible to watch. Plus, the twists and turns that are revealed in the final episode....dear god, this guy is absolutely brilliant and absolutely BONKERS at the same time.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I still laugh at Moriarty's sing-song response to Holmes' "Catch... you... later" at the end of series one.

"No you won't!"

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OK, I'm in on DA. Have my timer set for the 10 p.m. showing (took me forever to figure out what channel PBS was on my TV). More Matthew, please.

4. Killick

Am now of the opinion that a fate worse than getting brained by tire iron must befall O'Brien. Man... what a bitch! (Narking on Mrs. Padimore and Daisy... and then whining "You're going to let them get away with it?!?"... and then her target on Bates yet again.)

Oooooh, I want something entirely evil to happen to her.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You know what strikes me? In almost every show, I always pull for the villain. I love a good devil in the works, the snark, the joy and total abandonment of any kind of social mores.

And yet, I literally can't focus when she and Thomas are on screen. Like, just can't take it any more.

I also generally hate the too-cute-for-school couple, but can't get enough of Bates and Anna. WTF?

6. Killick

Blame the English. It's like driving on the wrong side of the road. Everything's backwards.

7. JingleBells

JingleBells New Member

American TV >>>>>> British TV

8. Killick

Have to disagree with you there, newb. There's some American TV that's quality viewing, but not enough to rank >>>>>>>>>>.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

So it's clear that Mary has feelings for Matthew and she is playing her engagement to Carlisle as a way to get him jealous.

I know that Miss Hughes will come through for the pregnant girl.
    Bullocks (sp?) on Miss O'Brien for ratting on the soup kitchen.

Am also getting into the new Sherlock, even if I have some minor quibbles.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Bollocks.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Either Lord Grantham knows the new maid's a fraud...or he wants to hop in her skirt. Or maybe both.

Setting up nicely for the Murdoch character to continue to blackmail Mary -- but Mary will play the gimp-war-hero wild-card and will be able to marry Matthew once it's all said and done.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I saw this show described as "crack for Anglophiles."

Draft saved Draft deleted