1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downsizing, kind of, car-wise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jan 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bought a base model '05 Chevy Aveo in August 2005. Main reason I bought it was that it was really discounted deep, it was affordable and I had $1k in rewards points from Chevy that I had to burn up or lose them. Was a good enough deal at the time and it has 28k miles on it now.

Now I want something a little more durable, something in the Civic/Corolla/Fusion class of car, with a touch more fuel economy and maybe a few more options. Something used, probably, with about 50k miles-wise.

My car is in fair condition now, not quite good since I just had a flat replaced and all the tires don't match up.

Obviously, prices vary, but has anyone done something like this before? Blue Book says I should about break even on a trade-in compared with how much I've paid off. Will a dealer have an upper hand on me since I'm trying to unload?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As long as you don't give the impression your looking to unload, you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure the dealer knows if you don't get the deal you want, you'll walk or go elsewhere.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Is there any way you can sell your current car yourself?

A little bit of a hassle, but often times you wind up making twice as much as you would off trading it in, which you can then turn around to put toward your new purchase.

If that's your only mode of transport, though, it probably wouldn't be feasible.

Just a thought.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Norman, that is the deal -- and I live in BFE, too, so getting to work otherwise is a no-go.

One of the other main reasons I wanna unload this and hopefully slice payments a bit is that I bought a new car while I still was reporting. At the moment, I'm working the desk, so I put nowhere near as many miles on it as I did early on.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Gotcha.

I will put in a plug for anything Honda/Toyota. Having owned both a Carolla and now two Accords, I can say without a doubt that I will never buy another brand again (unless I win the lottery).

An additional perk with Hondas and Toyotas: the resale value. I bought another Accord last spring and then was able to take my time selling my old one -- a '96 with 160,000 miles on it but in great shape. I had it portered, put it out and had it sold within a day for $1,000 OVER Blue Book.

Anyway, good luck.

6. JackS

JackS Member

You want downsizing? I'll give you downsizing.

http://www.livecarfree.com/

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I did for 20 years. Where I live now, that's not an option.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You had a tire replaced at less than 28,000 miles?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Being a dumbass and hitting a curb will do that to you.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Obviously you would do better selling yourself, but there is something to be said about streamlining the process and saving the time and hassle.

Just make sure you know what your car is worth and be willing to not make the deal or to take your car out of the bargain if they are dicking with you.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Uh.....trust me.......I sold new/used cars for 5 1/2 years, and my dad sold for 22.

Doesn't matter what kind of car you buy new, it depreciates 40% THE SECOND you buy it.

Unless it has huge rebates, you won't break even on it.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Living car-free in America is not difficult, but it does require some mild lifestyle changes."

Riiiiiiiight.

Draft saved Draft deleted