1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downloading Music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Dec 19, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay.

I'm 30. Have never really been into downloading music. I still buy CDs, often.

However, the fiancee, she's been hitting the gym like mad and has always wanted an iPod. I think I'm splurging today. But, she is still under the impression music is free somewhere out there on the net. I keep telling her it's not. But whatever. She never buys CDs, at least she hasn't in ages.

I know iTunes sells songs for 99 cents each. I know emusic charges $10 per month for 30 songs.

Can anyone else suggest music download programs - free or otherwise?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Morpheus or Limewire.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Limewire works pretty well, but is full of files that will put viruses on your computer.

Make sure you've got Norton and are pretty protected before you go nuts.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If you go with Limewire Pro, it cuts down on a lot of the virus bullshit and almost all of the spyware. It's like $10 for the Pro version, but I've found it to be worth it. And that's $10 once, not per month or year.

But I've still caught a file or two with the Norton's.

What I normally do is go to one of the pay sites, like Napster, listen to some clips of music, find what I want and then head over to Limewire to see if it's available. Most of the time it is, sometimes, especially with older stuff, it's hit or miss.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Get a bittorrent client (I use utorrent).

I also use the p2p program emule which doesn't come with any nasty spyware.

If you're downloading over a p2p network I recommend downloading and running the PeerGuardian software. Also stay away from downloading Top 40 or new releases.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Search SportsJournalists.com for previous threads on www.allofmp3.com

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I use Morpheus and don't get any viruses and love the availability of music and/or programs.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

I use BearShare and pay an annual fee. It's pretty reasonable. I haven't had any big problems with it.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

eMule. No spyware.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How much is Bearshare charging now?

11. eMule seconded.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's been shut down.

Draft saved Draft deleted