1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Downloading movies/TV shows

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fortyoz, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortyoz

fortyoz Guest

Now that you can download just about anything, including shows the day they air on TV - and since the news is broadcast online for free - the only point in paying for cable is for sports.
    When some genius figures out how to bring us live, streaming perfect-quality sports broadcasts, we'll never have to pay for TV again.
    Then we can save our money for the finer things in life, like wine and expensive hookers.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-ight.

When some genius figures out how to bring us live, streaming perfect-quality sports broadcasts, he'll also figure out how to make you pay through the nose for the privilege.

Oh, wait. We already have live, streaming perfect-quality sports broadcasts. It's called HDTV. And we already pay for it.

And rather than squint at a dinky-ass Windows Media Mangler window to watch a downloaded show, I'd rather see it full-size in my living room.

3. fortyoz

fortyoz Guest

Shit, did you ever think you could download a TV show the day it aired on television? One day, we will be able to watch, illegally and for free, live, streaming perfect-quality sports broadcasts. And that day, my friend, will be a great day.
    And we can already watch anything from the computer on a large, flat screen television via those black thingees that go from our computers to the back of the television.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I download soccer matches from around the world a few hours after matches are complete. If I can avoid the result it's just as good as live. I burn it onto a DVD or CD, pop into my DIVX (.avi file reader) DVD player...and watch away.

I have archived broadcasts of the Indy 500 and a few college football games..but as a whole Americans haven't caught on just yet. The copy of the Indy 500 was in standard definition and sort of disappointing.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Yeah, you can watch it when it first airs on network, or you can download it for free at 1 a.m., if you don't mind waiting in line with 50 other people. (At least, you can until the lawyers shut down Limewire, and that day is coming.) Better things to do and more important things to store on my hard drives.

Ri-i-i-i-i-i-ight.

Because the cable conglomerates won't be able to figure out how the signal was hacked and subsequently shut it down at its source.

If you don't mind smaller image size (due to compression to save bandwidth), which turns pixelated and ugly if you try to blow it up in software to a usable size. I choose quality and don't mind paying for it.

Fetch me a fuckin' beer, newbie.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You know, I keep trying to figure this out -- why we're getting hit with about a high schooler per week these days -- and the only thing I can figure is that there's been some sort of cosmic shift among the teenage set and suddenly those with creative writing skills are considered cool.

By the way, when I say high schoolers, I'm not talking about your Simons here. I'm talking about those cut from the pho-real mold. Honestly, they're like 20 of these little shits running around here now.

Goin' downhill fast, fellas. Before long, we'll have the first SportsJournalists.com pedophilia case to deal with.

7. fortyoz

fortyoz Guest

You put way too much faith in the man. Just look at who's running our country. And California for that matter.
    You're living in the past.

8. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

nope. back in the day it was all channeled towards the jim rome message board. nowadays, if they aren't psyching their parents into easy passports so they can fly to jordan on their parents dime to be raped, they're posting their bullshit here.

rack lebron, the KING.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Um, no. I'm not.

Just look at the changes going on at Bearshare.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Bearshare sucks now. I got rid of it. Popups everywhere. I'm on Limewire and Torrent now.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Limewire will soon be the same way...

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Bearshare's developers made a deal with the RIAA once they realized they couldn't win. The new version is full of spyware to go with the pop-ups.

And KYSportsWriter is right ... Limewire will end up that way sooner or later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.