1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down in the Jungle Room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 30, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I totally love this story that Bush and Mr. Japan Prime Minister are touring Graceland. Bush doesn't strike me as a big fan of the King, but then, PM Koizumi doesn't really look like a natural in the sunglasses, though.

When I went to Graceland a couple months ago, I didn't get to set foot in the Jungle Room. Guess it's who you know.

And man, looking at these photos on the wire, Priscilla looks younger than Lisa Marie.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Down in the Junger Loom.

(Sorry.)

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

well, she probably knows her former son-in-law's doctor

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Koizumi is a huge fan of Elvis and also the New York Yankees.   I heard Colin Powell speak once and he told a story of meeting with Koizumi and telling him that he once served with Elvis.  

Actually true they both served in Germany together with 3rd Army.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wouldn't that have been something? Gen. E.A. Presley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Well, probably not. Elvis didn't have the education that would have warranted a peacetime commission, much less promotion to the general officer ranks.

But he did go from private to sergeant in less than two years, or was that a fairly typical promotion rate among enlisted men in the late '50s and early '60s?

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, Fredo was the first sitting U.S. President to ever visit Graceland.

(Nixon must've met Elvis secretly in the parking garage of St. Jude's.)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a big Elvis fan and visited Graceland last year. I thought it was very cool but when I came to the end of the tour at his gravesite it was hard not to break into the rendition of "Heartbreak Hotel" that Spinal Tap did during their visit.

9. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'm a huge Elvis fan, though that his little to do with his music. I've been to Graveland three times and, more importantly, I've been to Graceland Too, in Holly Spring, Miss., (about 30 miles south of Memphis) five times.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Have you been to his birthplace in Tupelo?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I stayed at some cheap hotel in Tupelo. Didn't feel any Elvis vibes.

Draft saved Draft deleted