1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down goes Rove! Down goes Rove!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Yeah, right, Digger.

No doubt Rove, with Bush following along on a leash, is behind this website and others like it:
    http://www.smirkingchimp.com/

People are fed up with the vituperation in politics because it's there, out on the edges, not because some evil genius put it in place to trick us all. I opine.

I don't like it, and I won't base my vote on it.

2. Well, he'll have time on his hands now that he's brought this job to a successful conclusion.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2005/09/15/BL2005091501098.html

And jacky -- not to put too fine a point on it but this:

"Following the final two years of the Clinton and Bush administrations--zealots on both sides, please take a step back with me here--I wonder to what extent legal action is going to be used as a political tool in the future, particularly against lame duck administrations."

...isn't entirely accurate. The political utility of criminal proceedings was used against the Clinton Administration in 1997, with the phony Whitewater scandal, followed by TravelGate and FileGate and the other noisy hoaxes, to say nothing of the indecent use of Vince Foster's suicide as a political club. It started almost from the moment he took his hand off the Bible. And this is not even to mention the fact that there were two special prosecutors looking at him under a law that doesn't exist any more, to say nothing of congressional "oversight" which this WH has only had to face since last January. I don't think the "last two years" argument holds much water, historically.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

From one conservative to the anti-Bushies on here, Rove had to go. He's already done enough damage to Bush's presidency and more. I think he fell on the sword.

That said, I wonder where he will turn up next.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just a question: When Clinton named Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer was it "stacking" the Supreme Court?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Um, at least one of those additions made it through a Republican-controlled Congress.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

You'd shit your pants if he wound up as the muscle behind one of your Demos.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

First off, Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy, Roberts and Alito aren't going anywhere anytime in the near future, so I think the Supreme Court is secure. Decorum prevents from sticking my tongue out and going "Ppppbbbbbbtttttt."

Secondly, I doubt that any of "these assholes" are going to prison. A president gets anywhere from 3 to 6 months for a honeymoon to implement his/her policies. Spending that time investigating your predecessor is not a good use of that time and I doubt the American people will think highly of that. They view the past as the past and will just be happy that Bush is no longer in office.

And I really don't understand what you mean by the need to consolidate the power. If you mean, they need someone to continue to claim the never-ending boundaries of executive power and privilege -- which I am more in agreement with Fenian on than I am with John Yoo -- then I guess that I still don't get it. I, for one, would not be shocked to see Hillary have an expansive view of executive authority once she gets in office.

Rove may be a evil genius bastard, but he is still human. He is still a man who has a wife who wants to see him, a son that he has probably missed a lot since 1999 and a desire to experience life outside of the Washington bubble. There is a reason that people typically only work 2-3 years in the White House; it's the job of a lifetime, but it requires giving up time with friends and family, significant pay (anyone good enough to work in the White House could probably double their salary in the private sector) and sleep. Look at the before and after pictures of most White House staffers, much less the president. They look like they aged in dog years. And Rove has always maintained that he was going to sit out 2008. Don't worry, we don't need to Rove to keep those poor minorities from voting. We paid off the Diebold machine people not to count the votes that look like they came from colored skin or from dirty poor people.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

apologize carl jr.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the Republicans didn't play politics with nominees. What was the vote total again on them?

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Karl Rove:

Had a gay adoptive father, and his mother committed suicide.

Got beat up by a girl when he was 10 years old because he declared his support for Nixon in the 1960 presidential election.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, you sophist, because Clinton picked moderates, unlike the staunch conservatives Shrub rammed through before Congress turned.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Moderates. That makes me laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted