1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Has anyone ever interviewed or had any experiences with former PGA player Dow Finsterwald?
    I'm going to interview him shortly and was wondering if there are any good stories about him or his playing days?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good friend of Arnie's, so he might have a couple of Palmer stories.

He won the first PGA Championship conducted under stroke play in 1958, nipping Billy Casper. The previous year, the last time the PGA was held under match play, he lost 2 and 1 in the finals to Lionel Hebert.

Won his first Tour event, the 1955 Fort Wayne Open, when he chipped in from 70 feet for birdie on the final hole.

9-3-1 record in the Ryder Cup, captained the winning 1977 Ryder Cup team that had four Hall of Fame members: Nicklaus, Watson, Floyd, Irwin, against Great Britain team. The world discovered Nick Faldo that year, as he went 3-0.

That good enough?

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Created the concept of a "Burrito Buggy" at his alma mater, Ohio University.

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Dow came up with that concept? No way. No friggin' way. ... I see that yellow buggy and I can think only of hippies, their dreads and their dogs. No PGA golfer comes to mind.

For the record, WV, I've never talked with him, but my college shop ran a few stories on him back in the day; I found a link for one that might help. Also, if you want to talk with someone who has talked with Dow, PM me and I can give you a contact.

Finsterwald's discipline leads to obscure legacy

EDIT: Also, I have no idea what angle you'll take with your story, but you might also try to talk with Ohio golf coach Bob Cooley. I'm not sure how much he really knows Dow, but it's worth a try. (Dow's college coach, Kermit Blosser, died earlier this year at 95.)

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This appeared in the Denver Post this morning:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4060079

6. sportsed

sportsed Guest

God bless SportsJournalists.com. A guy asks for a phone number to a pro team and gets 47 responses telling him, "Hey, asshole, Google it."

A guy asks about an obscure golfer and gets five replies that are well thought out.

The Bobcats rise up! Yes!

Sports Barf likes this.
  7. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

WV,
    I don't have anything to add to this thread except the quote under your sig is missing a word. ;D

8. Thanks, this great!
    I didn't know about the buggy or the that he was an OU alumnus.
    I am familiar with soem o fKermit Blosser's students. He was a hell of golf coach.
    Thanks a lot ya'll!

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Um, wow. I was kidding about the buggy. It was meant to be an inside joke. But do ask him about founding the Greenery.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

As famous after his best days on Tour for the 5-minute "Golf Tip of the Day," which ran after baseball games and the like. Ask him about filming those; one with Buddy Hackett in a sand trap is the one I remember.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

RIP to an an apparent OU legend.

Also, props to you for digging up a thread from when I was a freshman in HS. Fine work.

Hermes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted