1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Douchebag holds MLB player's first HR ball for ransom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 15, 2009.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

This guy is clearly a dink, there is no question about that. However I don't see what is so wrong about asking for a couple of bats and a ball. Are these players so strapped for cash that they can not turn over a baseball bat? In my mind both sides in this stupid ordeal are assholes and I hope that shit Coughlin never hits another home run.

But I do want to make it clear that I would never make such a big deal out of this...I would just give the guy the ball and say good luck.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No, but why do you want something from Hanley Ramirez? And why do you want Hanley Ramirez to allegedly fly him down to Florida for a frickin Yankees-Marlins series?

Plus his attitude about the whole thing pisses me off ... "It amazes me how many professional athlete apologists there are," yet he wants to claim he's some sort of martyr and has been wronged by athletes making millions a year.

Well, douchebag, you one who begs ... BEGS ... for baseballs from those same individuals. If professional sports and its players disgust you so much, go watch peewee soccer out in Brookfield instead.

This is a "man" who pushes kids out of the way to get to home run balls in BP.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Now that Coghlan has the ball in his possession, I hope he goes on to break Bonds' Aaron's home run record.

4. Jeff Wallner

Jeff Wallner Member

Not surprising. Almost every game I see grown men risk life and limb to retrieve foul balls, which are worthless.

I don't get it. It's a baseball. Now, if it's a record-setter with a windfall attached, maybe I see the point. But, this is just ridiculous.

Of course, we've given this young man his 15 minutes .... so mission accomplished, I guess. Whatever.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

And Maris' too? :D

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

With the money these players make, if the ball means so much to him, he can certainly make the guy an offer.

It's not like the player has some constitutional right to the darn ball.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have a friend who actually wanted to do his thesis on this phenomenon. The "free stuff phenomenon" he called.

Like you said, grown men acting like idiots, fighting, bleeding, etc. in order to get a free t-shirt thrown their way; grab a free Nerf-type ball with a corporate logo on it; or a foul ball.

It's insane.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

They brought the guy a signed bat - but that wasn't good enough. I realize this guy got his 15 minutes, but at least everyone knows what a loser he is. And, like I said, he asked to be flown down to Miami for the Marlins-Yankees game (although I see he says he wanted Marlins-Brewers tickets, but he still asked to be flown down). That whole blog post by this tool is an example of him trying to make himself look good (but to me it just furthers his loser-dom).

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

WFW.
    The guy IS a douche, but I don't think his "demands" were unreasonable. The way I read it, the Marlins may have agreed to the "demands," then the tickets were asked for later to replace the Hanley Ramirez bat that was not coming. I would never do this, even if it was a huge milestone ball (I don't think), but since the ball has value to Coghlan, I don't really have a problem trying to get him to give something up for it. And the guy clearly asked for Ramirez bat because Coghlan's is not worth anything at this point.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Just saw this from Brewers beat writer Tom Haudricourt in a game blog:

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

These adults who still tip-toe between aisles trying to catch baseballs for their collection really need to get a more mature hobby. Like sexual intercourse.

If I get to a game early enough, I like to go down by the field and watch BP. If a ball happens to fall in my lap, fine. I will always give it to a little kid. No exceptions. I was 12 once and getting a souvenir baseball was cool as hell back then. At 30? Not so much.

As for catching a milestone home run? Give me a handshake and a photo with you and the ball. Then it's yours.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was shocked to see a wedding ring on his hand in one of the pictures (though I hate myself for reading his BLOG! to begin with). I hope his wife is sacking the mailman while he's at the ballgames being Supreme Dork.

Draft saved Draft deleted