1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do's and Don't's of the first job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kritter47, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The first rule of the first job is listen.

The second rule of the first job is listen.

Fight Club references aside, all that has said here is true. Compare your corrected story with your original copy. Clean copy always makes you a favorite of the copy desk.

I'd advise you STFU for the first six months or so. Don't gossip. Don't get sucked into the wrong crowd who bitches constantly, because they'll drag you down.

Don't worry about being gosh-darned perfect every time out. Punching out copy on deadline that informs and gets the job done is far more valuable in the real world. There are no muses to inspire.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but ask them at a time when things are quiet.

There is nothing worse than hitting a high-stress deadline period and having a newbie asking 20 questions about why you do things a certain way.

Wait until after deadline or early the next day to ask the question because you'll get a better answer. On deadline, the answer usually is "because I said so."

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Very good advice on this thread, and I'll add this one in from a couple of experiences, from which I have finally learned.

Don't date co-workers.

I loved my first spot. Great people, a little wacky at times, but good enough, had good things ahead of me. ... And had to get the hell out of there due to a poor decision in that regard. Made an equally poor decision in choosing my next stop, and am finally recovering now at my third stop out of school (in just over two years).

I repeat: DO NOT DATE CO-WORKERS.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Or at least don't serially date crazy co-workers.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Should have clarified: the second stop decision was just poor career-wise, I didn't make another co-worker mistake there. Just was in a hurry to rid myself of the first stop experience, so rushed the decision and made a poor one.

6. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Don't date people on your beat, either. It may not seem as conflict-of-interest as it really is, but if you're starting out in a small town, people talk.

But make nice with the copy desk, and again, don't be afraid to ask questions. If you see sources - coaches/athletic directors/parents/etc. when you're out at the grocery store, out at dinner or anywhere around town, take the chance to talk to them. It's a good way to break down a rigid barrier. Another good ice-breaker - if they have kids, always ask about the kids.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

But don't date the kids either.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How about their sisters?

9. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Thanks, guys. Keep the advice coming!

Though I don't think I'll have to worry about getting drunk and doing something stupid (I don't drink, the only 22 year old in Texas who doesn't, I've gathered).

No dating sisters, kids, co-workers or my boss. Got it.

10. terrific stuff here. much of it applies to everybody, not just newcomers

the guy who said save every phone number is dead on. it might seem stupid now, but who knows - in five years, you might need that guy. you just don't know.

i would add only this - be organized. you could be the best reporter and writer in the world, but if you don't organize all your stats/appointments/assignments/phone numbers/whatever you're making your job much harder.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Like one of my old editors said, "Be the guy without the notebook once in a while." If you have a couple hours to kill, just go shoot the shit with a coach or shoot baskets with some players during gym class. Don't bring a notebook or anything, just talk to them and hang around a bit. Let them get to know you. Especially in a smaller town, getting people to know and trust you -- and eventually talk to you -- is the hardest part of starting out.

And like others have said, LISTEN. Our business is based on one thing -- people talk. And they almost always tell you more than they think they do. Keep a mental file of all the little tidbits that are thrown out there because you never know when they might come in handy.
    A high school football coach might tell you a story about how his third string running back was out on the track at 10 p.m. running wind sprints in June. Not relevant during training camp when the guy is buried on the depth chart, but after backs Nos. 1 and 2 go down with injuries and that guy becomes the starter, it becomes a great story.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't sleep with a co-worker no matter how delicious of a ghetto booty she be havin'. If you sleep with a co-worker who has a sweet ghetto booty, don't move in with her 2 months later. If you do move in 2 months later, do not tell her you love her. If you do move in 2 months later and tell her you love her, don't start hiding drug use from her. If you do move in 2 months later and tell her you love her and start hiding drug use, prepare to be surprised when you start suspecting she's hiding secrets from you. Because she is. And you'll turn whiter than a ghost when you go to take a piss and spy a cum-filled rubber in the bathroom trash bin -- considering you never wore a rubber with her.

As for the job, immerse yourself in it. Work that beat. Learn how to take pictures. Write as many stories as you can. Win the hearts and minds of your readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted