1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dorothy Bland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'd think getting hit by a car would be worse than tripping on a tree trunk.

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Cops are trained not to tell people the results of the roadside breath test.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are they trained to lie about it?

4. Dick Whitman

Sports Illustrated's legal expert said essentially the same thing about Kane's accused. Can you explain to me what was so funny of offensive about my wording that you still think it's a hilarious thing to reference?

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

They shouldn't tell the subject anything at that point about the presence of alcohol, but as you know they can lie during an investigation to elicit a confession. There's just no conceivable benefit to telling a driver "you just blew a .14" when you're on the side of the road, whether it's true or false.

They also shouldn't give the portable breath test prior to the standard field sobriety tests, although I see a lot who do either because they think it's more efficient or they have forgotten that part of the process.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The video suggests to me that she probably wasn't right about being profiled -- the cops earn the benefit of the doubt from me, because nothing in their demeanor OR how they they talked to her suggested they were doing anything except what they said they were doing. It was a bullshit misdemeanor, which would normally send my spidey senses tingling. But they were almost sheepish about the stop. And they explained themselves well to her and there was nothing abusive about how they dealt with her. In fact, they were pretty pleasant about it.

The saw a truck have trouble getting by her, trailed her for a few seconds and when they stopped, simply said, "You shouldn't be in the middle of the road. Get over to that side -- it's not just an obstructing traffic issue (i.e. the truck), it's for your safety." The whole thing was pleasant enough, including how she interacted with them. She can mischaracterize the interaction however she wants -- whether she honestly is having those imaginings or she is full of shit. But I don't see how anyone can watch that video and see a probable case of racial profiling. The reason she wasn't able to write a convincing piece is that the video paints a much different picture.

SpeedTchr and franticscribe like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trained? No. But it is a legal tactic to get someone to get someone to make statements.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it was a white person of similar age they would not have run a background check

9. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure what they were planning to elicit. It was clear I was being truthful.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

And how do you know this? Again, I was pulled over for a headlight that was out. Cop took my information and was gone for 5 minutes. He came back with a warning. I don't have definitive proof (and neither do you), but I'm guessing he wasn't pulling his pud back there. He was making sure I had no warrants and my insurance was good. Your statement is irresponsible.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And you know that... how?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He doesn't know it. ... any more than he knew she was an "affirmative action hire," when he was doing his usual bigoted act.

They can't ask her for ID. ... unless they stopped her because they observed her breaking the law. I'd bet that even if they are going to let a person off with a warning because it is a BS misdemeanor. ... they always do that ID / check. They don't get too many opportunities to do it -- they need cause to do it (and she gave it to them). From their perspective, they never know when there might be an outstanding warrant. So if they have the chance, they run those checks. It is pretty standard police procedure that I will bet is pretty color blind.

Draft saved Draft deleted