1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Door Bell Rings At Midnight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 15, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Our dog barks when the wind changes direction, so that migh score someone off, but I don't answer for shit after 9. I'll look out the door and ask what they want.

But I feel safe 99 percent of the time. Taken the dog out at 1 a.m. to crap and never felt anyone wa going to rush me. Of course I'm 6-5, 320 so they can probably find someone frailer to take on.

We don't get the paper! But we always have my wife's brother stop by and get mail, etc. when we're gone.

But with a kid on the way, I'm thinking alarm system and maybe a mine or two planted in the yard. Just in case. Stay away criminals!

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, which is it?

I have a big-ass Mag Lite that I have for occasions such as this. As a friend formerly in law enforcement says, "one end turns on the lights – the other end turns them off."

We also have a big woofing dog. She's sweet and not that smart ... but she's got a great bark and it's easier to try the house next door instead – where they don't have a big woofing dog.

Secondarily, Ace and Inky give good advice about lights and such.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Am I the only one who loves it when my doorbell rings at midnight? :D

4. boots

boots New Member

If you are afraid to answer the door, leave the city. And if you are going to stay, protect yourself and your family.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"We have heard the chimes at midnight, Master Shallow."

Just trying to class up the place.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They make pizza deliveries that late in your neck of the woods?

7. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I definitely read that as Master Swallow and wondered if you know her, too.

All jokes aside, if it's not a booty call or a food delivery, late night doorbell ringing is some scary shit.

8. boots

boots New Member

That's why I have a gun. Some people don't know how to take get away from my door. I've got 17 friends who love reminding them.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Harry Callahan: We're not just going to let you walk out of here.
    Crook: Who's "we," sucker?
    Harry Callahan: Smith, and Wesson – and me.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

one tip, which we followed, for those considering getting an alarm: put the control panel by or in your bedroom instead of by the front door. this way if you hear someone break down the door or the person is blocking the door and you can't get out, you're (hopefully, assuming a middle of the night break-in) in your bedroom so you can press the panic button immediately.

it makes for a pain in the ass when you walk into the house with wet or dirty shoes and an armload of packages and have to get to the back of the house in 40 seconds to punch in the code but i'm still glad we did it.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

I live in a big city too, north of the border though. Believe me, I'm not trying to be sanctimonious, but the big difference between our two cultures is that the immediate response to something as conceivably harmless as a mistaken doorbell ring is to get a gun, a response heartily endorsed by most of the responses.
    Does that not seem perverse to most of you?
    Guns exist in Canada and people are shot far too frequently, but to have one in the home is rare, at least in the main population centres. Lots in the rural areas.
    And I just think we're better off for it.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Keep an axe handle -- and not one of those sissyish fiberglass ones -- beneath your bed.

Draft saved Draft deleted