1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Door Bell Rings At Midnight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 15, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

We have an alarm system, but I've often wondered -- wouldn't it be cheaper to just put up some bogus-but-official-looking sign saying the house has an alarm system? Someone could (and probably already has) made some money selling "Acme Protection Service" signs.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Good Lord, a hostage situation next door? You guys have much more exciting lives than I do.

If this is a problem in your neighborhood, get the alarm. And don't be afraid to call the cops.

One time, my wife called me at work (at night, of course) saying she thought there was a prowler. I told her to call 911 and she said "but that's only for life-threatening emergencies." I asked her how she knew it wasn't one. She called 911, but they never found anyone.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fish eye sees all.

I do think when he starts to talk about moving though there might be some over reaction. Some of those incidents happened 30-some miles away he said. It can be unnerving, but the world is fucked anymore.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Those don't even protect you from the Roadrunner.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

About 18 months ago, The Future and I had just returned to our apartment from running errands. Our hands were too full to lock the door when we came in and we went about our day. About 20 minutes later, a Hispanic guy opens our door, peaks in ... I said, "Can I help you?" "Oh, oh, sorry." Closes the door.
    Didn't think much of it. I've almost walked into the wrong apartment too, either in a hurry or not paying attention because I'm looking through the mail.
    Later that night, 9:30 or so, I'm home while she's at work. Same dude comes to our door, starts fumbling with the doorknob. I broke the rule of opening the door, but same deal ... "Oh, oh, sorry."
    I called the police just to have something on file.
    Dude seemed like a pansy, but he was kinda stocky. I never should've opened the door. Fortunately nothing happened.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't have one, but I can see where an alarm system would bring some peace of mind, but at a pretty significant cost. I think motion lights on all four corners of the house -- and another on the porch -- would be a good way to go.

Do you have small children in the house? If you don't, you probably can't go wrong with a small shotgun -- a .20 gauge, or something like that. They can be very inexpensive at a pawn shop.

Edit: Just re-read the your initial post and saw your picture. I guess you do have small children.

7. Why does it matter that he was Hispanic?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

OK, boots.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

LOL. That's sort of what I was thinking on the sign thing. If my wife is being raped in front of my son, I'm not sure that I'm going to take much solace in the fact that the police are on the way.

If I wasn't renting, I'd probably go ahead and get a system. I'll make that part of my house-shopping in the fall.

I like the thing about an NRA sticker. I think an NRA sticker on the car and a big sign in the yard saying something like "I support gun owners' rights" might do the trick.

We almost always leave the porch light on in front. I'm going to do the same with the back porch now, especially since I have a new gas grill out there.

And the break-ins were about a quarter-mile up the road. In one case, they came in with guns and made a lady masturbate while they waited for her husband to come home. Like I said, though, the police said those cases involved drugs.

I'm sort of pissed about this whole deal. I just looked over and saw a scary halloween mask in my son's toy box. Next time, I just might sneak out the back door, jump them on the front porch, steal their gun and drop some lead into their skull before calling the police.

10. We've had our sign stolen from our yard twice (having one without owning the actual alarm is known as the "redneck alarm system" around these parts). Now, we conspicuously stick the alarm company's stickers on windows around the house and turn the house alarm on every night.

It's my understanding there are wireless alarm systems which could be useful in rental properties.

11. There are wireless systems and most of them work very well.

When I was in college, my parents had someone breaking in to the house. Of course, they were being loud trying to get through the door and my dad heard it. He grabbed a baseball bat and hid behind the door while my mom called the cops. The guy eventually got through the door and my dad crushed him in the face with the bat. He was still out cold when the police got there and arrested him.

My dad's a stubborn old man, but even he relented and got a security system after that. He has more balls than I do, too. I don't think I would have been able to take a swing on some guy breaking into my house. Probably would have hid in a room and locked/barricaded the door. They haven't had any issues since.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

We have a yappy miniature schnauzer that comes in handy when someone is at the door. If anyone decided to ring the doorbell at midnight, the pooch would go bonkers.

This would be a good time to discuss what to do when you are out of town to prevent people from knowing you are out of town so they won't try to break in.

1. I always leave a key with my SE and have him stop by daily. Or get someone else you trust. Have them leave different light on at night.

2. Stop your paper/mail.

3. I shudder at the prospect of a major storm destroying my car when I'm out of town with the family van, but I refuse to leave it in the garage. I leave it in the driveway. A car in the driveway is usually a good indicator somebody is home.

4. For God's sake, double check your windows/doors and make sure they're locked!

Draft saved Draft deleted