1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth to plead guilty to DUI manslaughter charge

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jun 16, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Junkie, if that was me in the State of New Jersey, I'd be in for 5-10 years not 30 freaking days.

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Whoa whoa whoa..... So all of a sudden this guy gets a pass for blowing a .12? That's 50 percent higher than the legal limit.

You're making a lot of assumptions, Junkie. Dante Stallworth is capable of remorse but Vick's not. You don't know either guy and certainly don't know what's going on in their heads. Stallworth was drunk. He chose to get into that car. If you get drunk and you hop into a vehicle, you have to know the consequences. Maybe you missed biology class, but consuming alcohol impairs your motor skills, thus causing you to perhaps hit a human being while driving.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, since you brought me into it, if you had killed someone, I would have hoped you got a lot more than 30 days.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're comparing Roethlisberger's minor motorcycle accident with Stallworth's DUI manslaughter?
    Are you crazy.

5. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Let me guess: Stallworth deserves positive coverage because he tries really hard too.

Thank you mama Stallworth.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If Stallworth was sober but going 58 in a 40 would he have deserved years in the pen for killing the guy?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd go with a couple years. Not decades, but a lot more than 30 days.

Is that fair him when lots of people speed? No. But if we're going to start a risk-basked punishment system and not a results-based one, we are going to have to uproot centuries of legal tradition and more or less start over as as society.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

You know, one time, I'd like to see a judge show some real stones with these star athletes and not let them plea down to these slap on the wrist sentences. These guys are given a lot, so expect more from them.

Throw the book at them. Send Stallworth to maximum security for 5-10 years and make him survive among the murderers, rapists and other hard criminals there. Only allow him out of his cell for a couple of hours a day and highly restrict his communication with the outside world. Only getting $4 million a year as opposed to $5 million won't seem so bad anymore.

Enough with letting the Donte Stallworths and Leonard Littles and Pacman Jones off so easily. Enough with letting them get away with shooting a United Way commercial and writing a check and "confessing" to Michael Irvin or Tiki Barber or Shannon Sharpe as punishment.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never lit a candle for the guy. Some goofballs did. I had a human concern for another person who nearly died in an accident. It struck home for me a bit because my brother was still riding motorcycles at the time and he was enough of an idiot to do it without a helmet (legal in his home state). And yes, as a fan I hoped he would be able to play again. Beyond that, I ripped the guy for behaving like an immature ass.

Not wearing a helmet does not endanger others on the road. It certainly doesn't impair the operator of the vehicle the way being intoxicated does. Also, something you may have forgotten, the driver of the car that Roethlisberger crashed into cause the accident by making an illegal turn. Funny how you want to ignore that, but you want to blame the guy who Stallworth hit for getting himself killed.

To you those things are comparable? To me, you simply can't get past your own fanboy notions to see this one objectively.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Sadly, I think you'll find their sentences in line with sentencing guidelines in those respective states, based on similar circumstances.

The jails are full. That's just a fact. And they try to reserve space only for the most violent and dangerous.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

So use some of this stimulus money to build some more prisons in isolated parts of the country, away from civilization. It will provide jobs and allow for harsher sentences that might just deter some future criminals.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Not in my backyard, buddy!

Draft saved Draft deleted