1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth hits, kills pedestrian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColbertNation, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Hutz: Now don't you worry, Mrs. Simpson, I - uh-oh. We've drawn Judge Snyder.
    Marge: Is that bad?
    Hutz: Well, he's kind of had it in for me, since I accidently ran over his dog. Actually, replace "accidentally" with "repeatedly", and replace "dog" with "son."

2. horrible

i got to know donte pretty well & he was a great kid, one of my favorites

but if the DUI report is true ... jesus ... just horrible

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/459/story/951343.html

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

can't open links on my phone. summary of melock's story?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm a big fan of showing a video of a person in his last moments or recently dead, personally.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is no good reason for that video to be made public.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but that wasn't necessarily what I was getting at. I was basically just questioning why we're congratulating somebody for (maybe) obeying the law.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Get used to it, that's the new face of low-cost journalism.

9. KG

KG Active Member

I had someone step out in front of me once. Thank goodness I didn't hit them, but I barely had time to swerve, let alone honk or flash my lights. Drunk or sober, if you have the time for that, hit the brakes. Although, I'd have to say every situation is different. You never know how you will react in a panic-prone situation until it's too late.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you're wondering if he's drunk or not, the video plays well into his favor. If he turns his whole head while he follows the flashlight then he's drunk. If he just moves his eyes, than he's not.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Moving the head doesn't have anything to do with the sobriety test being administered in that video. The test being given is the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test, or HGN. Nystagmus refers to the type of movement, from one side to the other, the eye makes when following an object like a pen or finger. The eye should move smoothly from one side to the other when following an object such as a pen or finger. There are two types of nystagmus: Jerk and pendular. Jerk nystagmus, and it's sub-category alcohol gaze nystagmus, are the side-effects being tested for during this test.

When a person is drunk, the eye lags -- or can't keep up with the object being moved. When it tries to catch up, it creates an uneven or less smooth motion. The nystagmus, or jerk, in the eye makes the movement from one side to the other appear jerky ... like it's rolling across a cement sidewalk or some other rough surface.

The person being tested doesn't even know it's occurring, because the nystagmus doesn't affect vision.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but sobriety tests were a part of my former life as a military policeman.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's basically what I said. But in terms that a 3rd grader would understand. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted