1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donte Stallworth hits, kills pedestrian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColbertNation, Mar 14, 2009.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

From the AP ...

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Police in Miami Beach say Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte Stallworth has hit and killed a pedestrian with his Bentley.
    Police spokesman Juan Sanchez says Stallworth hit a man crossing the busy causeway that links downtown Miami with Miami Beach around 7 a.m. ET Saturday.
    The man was pronounced dead at a trauma center. He was near a crosswalk but it's not clear if he was crossing legally.
    Stallworth is cooperating and no charges have been filed. Officers drew his blood to test for drugs or alcohol, which is routine. Police say it's too early to tell if Stallworth was violating traffic laws.
    The 28-year-old former New England Patriots player signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns as a free agent before last season but hardly played because he was hurt.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Re: Dante Stallworth hits, kills pedestrian

The big upset here is that Stallworth was driving himself anywhere. A Bentley is for someone else to drive you.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At this point, we have to assume it was an honest accident. At least he didn't flee the scene as so many in similar positions have done.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Donte.

And just a tragedy regardless. I'd hate to think it was a sun incident...7 a.m., if you're driving East, can be a hard time to see. Either way, Steak's right...Congratulations on Donte being a human being and facing up to it.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i hope it was an "honest accident." if he failed his dui test, though, he's toast. prayers to the family of the deceased.:'( :'( :'(

6. Re: Dante Stallworth hits, kills pedestrian

If he fails a DUI at 7 a.m...wow.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

People get hit by cars all the time. I stopped riding my bike for nearby errands after a few close calls. You see the cars, you go only when the signal is proper, you always assume that people might not see you and people still find a way of barreling right at you, despite your best efforts to be seen and to avoid trouble spots.

Most long-term motorcyclists have at least one story of a time they got hit (or had to bail out) because of someone who didn't see them. It's even worse with a pedestrian.

That said, if the causeway-crosser wasn't in a crosswalk, well, his chances of going unseen are many times higher than had he crossed properly.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

could be coming home from an all nighter.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What I was thinking. Getting tagged for DUI at 7 a.m. on a Saturday, in a city like Miami especially, is probably not an uncommon occurrence.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Do we expect that so little of people these days that we congratulate them when they remain at the scene after fatally hitting a pedestrian?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"these days"

As if people were always morally upstanding back in the day.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hence my "being a human" line. The congrats were sarcastic. But it wasn't a dig at Steak, more at the idiots who try to leave the scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted