1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't you dare step into this booth woman!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Who watches football? Men. What do men want to look at? Pretty women. Do men want to listen to women talk throughout a football game? No.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As someone who is in sports broadcasting, I can say with some authority that there are a ton of terrific opportunities for women. The market for them is excellent. What I've seen change -- for the better -- is that those doing the hiring have evolved from salivating attractive women to employing women who know sports.

And there are a lot of them.

Play-by-play, though, is a hard one for me to answer. NBC tried it with Gayle Sierens in 1987, and, 24 years later, she's still the only one. And, TV/radio stations on both sides of the border are struggling to find the next generation of play-by-play people.

The only question I'd ask is: how many women who want sports jobs want them as play-by-play voices? Or, are they going after anchor/sideline jobs?

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, you don't just land a play by play job at NBC out of college. You need to climb the ladder through local, perhaps radio....so if you want to attack hiring it has to start small. No national telecast is going to hand the show over to a rookie. What women are working as play by play people that are ready to make the leap? Crickets?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The board's been shut down for less than this!

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I know that when I got the call from ESPN, I was in a dressing room at Kohl's and didn't answer. I would have called right back, but it was a good sale and I had a coupon.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dressing room? I was in the shoe department. Didn't hear the ringer over the hysterical giggling of the women around me.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Oh, who are you kidding?? You gals don't even like sports, and you sure don't want to spend your life reporting on it!

But just for giggles, we'll send a telegram when this episode of Mad Men is over, just be patient there, little ladies. Some coffee when you get a chance, dear.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't. My boyfriend wants a massage.

9. dooley_womack1

Does he have expectations for the massage?

10. dooley_womack1

And I never knew Wexler was a female

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Don't make us have a Westing Gamejack right here.

12. dooley_womack1

Cool by me, since I have no idea what that means

Draft saved Draft deleted