1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't TP this lady's house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Farbecker, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Farbecker

Farbecker Active Member

I'm glad this woman wasn't around when I was in high school.

Mom tracks down toilet-tissue pranksters

NORCO, Calif. (AP) - Teenagers who toilet-papered and damaged a home now face felony vandalism charges because of a mother's extraordinary sleuthing.

Katja Base, mother of six, was unwilling to let the teens get away with it, saying she tracked them down to teach her kids about accountability.

Base awoke one February morning to find her front lawn strewn in white two-ply toilet paper. She and husband Ken also found damaged landscaping and light fixtures as well as ruined finishes on two cars.

Dog food and flour also covered the lawn.

Realizing the sheriff's department has better things to do than track down teen pranksters, Katja Base decided to do some detective work.

"There needs to be accountability," she said. "Mainly, I pursued this as a lesson for my daughters. I don't want them to ever come to me and ask why I didn't do anything about this."

Base persuaded supermarket managers to tally daily toilet-paper buys for the week and a Stater Bros. manager said there was a run on bathroom tissue two days before her home was vandalized.

At 7:30 p.m. Feb. 17, someone bought 144 rolls of toilet paper, cheese, dog food, flour and plastic forks, the same items found on her lawn and house. It was a cash transaction, making it difficult to trace the purchaser, but the store had video surveillance.

The video showed four teenagers making the purchase, one of them wearing a Norco High School letterman's jacket with a name stitched across the back. The store's parking lot surveillance camera showed the truck they were using.

Base then borrowed a Norco High yearbook and used online databases to get the name, phone numbers and addresses of the teens on the store tape.

"Her work was instrumental in helping us to identify the suspects," said Lt. Ross Cooper of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

The information was eventually sent to the district attorney's office and prosecutors confirmed that about six youths were now facing vandalism charges. However, they would not release details of the case or names of the defendants because they are juveniles.

The maximum penalty for the adult would be three years in prison; the juveniles could face probation and restitution, district attorney's office spokeswoman Ingrid Wyatt said.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good for her.

My neighbor, a county sherriff no less, has two very attractive and popular teenage daughters. The house gets TPd once a month by, I assume, teenage boys thinking it's a good time. It's probably a good thing it's just TP and not the car paint damaging stuff.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a great story. Go mom!

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I thought Rosie lived in Minnesota.

5. Sheriff to Mom: You're hired! ;D

6. Farbecker

Farbecker Active Member

I never did anything other than throw a few rolls of TP. I couldn't imagine ever doing anything to damage someone's car or house.

Some friends and I did roll our rival school one time. At the local Kroger, at about 1 a.m. on a Sunday (my parents were out of town), we walked up to the register with two carts full of TP. That was more fun that the actual rolling.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

O.J. should call her to help him look for the real killers!

Great story. Go mom go.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I've never understood the anger some people have about their yard being TP'd. Big damn deal. Take it down.  

Now, the car damage, that's another story. Good for her on that. Glad she found the little shits. I did find it odd that there was no description of the damage to the cars, though. I mean, we learned the kids used two-ply TP, but all we know about the car damage, which I would say is much more significant, is that it happened. Seems odd.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I love that they forked her lawn. Good stuff. Agree about the car damage, though. Fucktards.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Since there was actual damage, and not just TP, I say go Rosie!

If some lady did all that to find out who TP'd her house, that might seem a little strange.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

The hubby better never even think of having an affair.

;D

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Okay, let's make this clear once and for all.

This woman is not me!

About two weeks ago, one of my kids' friends tromped through one of my flower beds, mangling some of my flowers. :mad: Let's just say, after I found out, I don't think that will happen again.

Somehow, I really don't think that I will have to worry about my house being TP'ed.

Draft saved Draft deleted