1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't tell Bubba what the topic of a speech will be

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12782.html

I can understand Clinton's anger about this. The best communicator the Dems have had since Kennedy and they want to dictate the speech topic to him? Besides, what are they going to do once he's on live TV? He can go off the reservation all he wants.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"I have said as much to him three or four days ago," Obama said. "I said Mr. President, you can say whatever you like. Bill Clinton is a unique figure" in Democratic politics."

Although Wednesday is focused on foreign policy, "It wouldn't make much sense for me to edit his remarks" if he wants to make a case on the economy, as someone who presided over good economic times, he said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Well so much for this thread. Next.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love that the Obama camp is so scared shitless of what Bill or Hillary might say.

I don't think they have anything to worry about, but you don't tell a former president what he can and can't talk about.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

While this is a D_B, the other thread shows signs of getting whacked.

Bill Clinton going to the podium with a fire under his butt would be absolute must-see TV. Even if Obama tries to publicly downplay the possibility that some within his camp will be nervously holding their breath as Bill begins to speak.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What I wouldn't give to have a camera on Obama from his hotel room when Bill speaks. He literally might say anything.

8. Mizzougrad96

Bubba has gotten quite animated in some of his recent interviews about Obama and how it's perceived that he fucked-up Hillary's chances.

I can't imagine him getting controversial, but you never know...

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'd imagine their big worry is that Clinton says something that gives ammo to Fox News, etc., about Obama, his ideas or campaign. Seeing as Bubba screwed his wife over several times at speeches (see: The South), it's a reasonable concern. Still, Bill loves his legacy and this is a stage on which he can't screw it up.

10. Mizzougrad96

I would agree with that. Clinton has already hurt his legacy and I don't think he wants to do further damage.

If he's inclined to do so, he'll do it behind the scenes, but not on a stage in front of the whole country.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody puts Bubba in a corner.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

They didn't. Next.

Draft saved Draft deleted