1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't sweet talk me, whitey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's weird how Cornbread Maxwell is apparently the only black person in Boston who has an opinion on this matter.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, if she asks me "When are you going get out of the way, you creepy-ass cracker?" I might.

HC likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There are a lot of hypotheticals at work to make this scenario plausible.

But, in general, folks usually do not wanted to be interrupted mid set.

Now, I also don’t think anyone is going to mind a shoutout to the school represented on the t-shirt you’re wearing, but I just don’t think of it as a “friendly” place, where people are looking for conversation. Often, people are at their most self conscious at the gym.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Plus, they have a limited amount of time to get their workout in. I used to work out at the YMCA, and it annoyed the hell out of me when people were chatty.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, if you’re trying to keep your heart rate up, and go from one exercise to the next, you don’t want to stop and talk in between sets.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shit, I'm just hoping to keep my heart rate at a rate, any rate ...

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Have you done any interviewing or investigating? Nope, you had your preconceived notions and just started screaming "racism."

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Part of the hilarity of this thread, at least for me, is that this joint ain't exactly P.C. Central. RickStain is the closest we have to a card-carrying SJW, and he essentially thinks the whole board is racist and misogynist. (Or, more accurately, that we are blissfully unaware of the ways in which racist and misogynist perspectives have infiltrated themselves into our thoughts and actions.)

Boogie, I tweak liberals all the time here regarding their awkwardness regarding writing and talking about social issues. It's virtually a trope here.

It is quite possible that you are right and people overreacted to the BPD tweet. But the way you threw the gauntlet down with your initial post - and then started three other piss-and-vinegar threads in the next few minutes loaded for bear - this one was only going to go one way, and it did.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The link in the OP noted the reactions.

But I guess those black people don't count.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Care to list the three that fit this description? You are really sloppy with the facts.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The thread title finally makes sense to me as the response from the Rice student to DQ's aborted inquiry.

Pete, SnarkShark, TyWebb and 10 others like this.
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I disagree with your hypothesis with what I call the Jon Hamm Theory.
    Now remember, docquant is working out at the local Y, or the university rec center. He isn't at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
    If someone the equivalent of Jon Hamm interrupts a woman's set, 98% of the time she will gladly make time to hear what he has to say. For men, the bar goes way down, basically any woman who looks good in a pair of yoga pants - she interrupts your set to ask you a question - the bar dips can wait.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted