1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't RIP, Abu Ayyub al-Masri

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, May 1, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Al-Zarqawi's replacement in Iraq said to be dead.
    Who gets the call-up from AAA to get in line to die next?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/01/iraq.main/index.html

2. Well, I certainly believe anything that tribesmen tell the Iraqi government which then feeds the stuff to CNN.
    Professor Plum, on the wadi, with a candlestick.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Gee, like we couldn't see that coming.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've figured out long since we killed or captured the 26th "Al Qaeda Number Three" that Al Qaeda has more than a AAA. They're deep at AA, all levels of Single-A and go all the way down to Class D like the minors of the 1940s.

Masri's death (if true) won't change much of anything. Zarqawi's been dead for about a year and has anything much changed?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Not really, but it's good to see these scumbags don't go unpunished and that the US and Iraqis are still working to get them.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Also, NBC is saying this is all being confirmed by the Iraqi Interior Ministry.
    Hopefully, it's true.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If we would do it well, it would. One of my favorite historical moments is when after the Israelis killed the head of hamas a few times ina row, they announced that the new chief would remain anonymous.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Is this thread title an anti-shoutout?

9. I would point out that, if that report is true, then al-Masri died in combat between two insurgent groups, neither of whom like us very much.

10. Guy_Incognito

Is this not great news?

11. It's un-bad news, of a kind we've seen before. The fact that one group of people that hates us may have killed a guy who hated us doesn't make me crack open the Dom, sorry.
    It changes the situation on the ground not a bit, any more than our triumph over Zarqawi did.

And who knows what ABC has.
    http://thinkprogress.org/2007/05/01/masri-death/

12. Guy_Incognito

It also doesn't solve global warming, I am capable of celebtrating good, sorry, un-bad news as you call it even if it doesn't singlehandedly yield blissful utopia.

Can we decide whether this is no big deal, or a big enough deal to be worth faking? Can we go on record before we know what ABC has?

Draft saved Draft deleted