1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't mess with this New Jersey school board

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jan 13, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/100113-mother-arrested-for-cursing-at-principal

Mom gets charged with disorderly conduct for cursing the school principal out. Sorry, but I'm with Mom here and I'd be in someone's face:

Her daughter gets her sweatpants pulled down in gym by a boy. She goes to bullying seminar held by the school board. When she relates what happened, the school board president asked if her daughter was wearing a thong. Unrepentant, he later tells TV news crew "I had to find out what body parts were actually revealed." Oh ... if she had been wearing bloomers to her ankles, that would have mattered about the pulling down of the pants. Sounds like sexual harassment issues are a problem from the students to the school board prez.

School officials then said the school board meeting, "wasn't the place for [the mother] to express her concerns." If not there, then where?

Clincher: school board member who filed the report is a police detective. Tell me that's not a conflict of interest.

Mom probably shouldn't have cussed. But the overall reaction of the school and school board would drive some parents to do worse than cuss.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stupidity isn't limited to that school board. In Texas, they suspended a four-year-old because his hair was too long.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-01-12-school-dress-code-hair_N.htm?csp=34

What is this, the 1960s?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Daughter gets pants pulled down

(this is the part of the timeline missing)

She goes to a bullying workshop. She is still not satisfied.

She attends a School Board meeting. She is still not satisfied. Guy asks a stupid question. She get mad. Yada yada yada.

What I think is missing is her sitting down with the school admninistration, the school doing what it felt was necessary and she was not satisfied. Maybe the kid received an in school suspension, but she wanted a expulsion from school? Maybe the kid is special ed and thus is not disciplined in the same way as many students would be?

A lot missing from this story.

Oh, I'm sure her daughter wishes this whole thing would just go away.

4. highlander

highlander Member

It's a school rule. Twice the parents have come with up the reason he has long hair. First it was a native American thing. Now they claim he is growing his hair long to have to cut for wigs for cancer patients.

He's not suspended. He goes to school every day but takes his classes in the library under the direction of a teacher's aid.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

On the plus side, they don't have any issue with the kid's tattoos.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

The woman will be in court tomorrow on disorderly person charge.
    The original incident happened in May and the kid got slap-on-the-wrist discipline.

Here's a more complete story:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/011110_Hasbrouck_Heights_parent_who_cursed_out_principal_due_in_court_Wednesday.html

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So then it's OK to tell a four year old kid--or any kid for that matter---they can't have along hair?

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"God made idiots for practice. Then he made the school board." -- Mark Twain

It never ceases to amaze me how poisoned the world of academia has become because of the pinhead idiots who run our public schools and universities in this country.

9. Baron Scicluna

Why is it a school rule? Unless he's operating heavy machinery, which I highly doubt he is, there's no danger with his hair any more than it would be if a girl had hair the same length. And it's highly doubtful that his hair is causing any sort of disturbance in the class.

And it is a suspension. An in-school one, in which the kid is essentially isolated from the rest of the class like he has some sort of disease.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

When the rules are unconstitutional and/or un-American, yes.....

11. Baron Scicluna

Dress codes are utilized so that the main purpose of school, having kids learn (or win football games) is not compromised.

A four-year old boy's long hair is not disruptive to a classroom.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's right, they have to be taught early to conform so they'll grow up to be good little unquestioning unthinking drones.

Draft saved Draft deleted