1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't joke about Dongles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Of course, most of them are guys.
    But she did escalate this to the extreme.

2. Riptide

Also, what the fuck is a "developer evangelist"?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

we make dongle jokes at our office all the time.

if that's the line, I've jumped back and forth over it.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

There's a lot that bothers me about this, but mostly that there was no proof that the guys made the jokes in the first place. For all we know, she made it up. Or got the wrong guys. (I skimmed the story and didn't see anything about the men acknowledging they'd made the jokes.)

Snapping people's pictures and making public accusations without proof? Strikes me as being libelous. Or slanderous -- which is the Internet?

Also, I don't want random conference-goers to snap my photo and slap it up on their blogospheres. If she is posting that on a company site/Twitter/whatever, she should be getting a photo release form.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't understand how the photo proves the jokes were being made or why it's wrong to make jokes about penises. Were they harassing her in any way? Were the jokes directed at her?

Sounds like she's just a pussycatty bitch.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It doesn't prove anything. She was just trying to publicly shame them for making nerdy off-color that she could overhear.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Half of the article was less understandable than the adults talking on Peanuts, most of all the attempts to explain the terms. And neither should have been fired

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Asking the conference to enforce its code of conduct = escalating to the extreme?
    http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/03/22/adria-richards-did-everything-exactly-right/
    http://jezebel.com/5991792/woman-in-tech-tweets-about-sexist-dudes-in-tech-dude-get-fired-internet-meltdown-ensues
    http://www.dailydot.com/news/adria-richards-fired-sendgrid-violent-backlash/

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Did she ever consider turning around and telling them to shut up? That's the mature and reasonable way to handle things.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So... she's learning that having one's assholish behavior exposed online can have terrible, unfair consequences?

Was that a consideration when she tweeted a photo of two men while saying their sexist comments were making her uncomfortable? Seems to me she is now dealing with what she hoped the men would be dealing with, but she miscalculated.

I get being frustrated when someone nearby is being loud and inappropriate. An adult politely asks them to knock it off. An emotional 8-year old tries to semi-anonymously get them in trouble, then acts like she was in fear and concerned about the "code of conduct."

12. Riptide

Yeah, she escalated it straight to the Internet, which turned it into a global affair, and now two people have lost their jobs because managers escalated it further because Holy Batshit You've Damaged the Brand and You're Fired.

I blame automation. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted