1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't go to Spokesman-Review if you're hoping to read about football...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's fucked up. I assume you guys are still doing daily stories and whatnot?

2. Yup, but no longer traveling for road games.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's shitty, but not surprising.

4. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I don't know what to make of my paper. Every year, the tab has fewer ads, and we keep wondering if we'll lose it. However, this year, we're doing a second tab for all the fringe sports like soccer, volleyball and cross country. The grand plan: they're double-selling the ads. So, two ads for the price of one, but twice as much cost for making two tabs.

Fucking idiots.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

THAT long????? Really?

Damn. That's inexcusable for that area. Simply inexcusable.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're shifting to running NFL preview stuff in the daily. We're 3 1/2 hours from the nearest NFL team, so the interest here isn't so demanding.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I root for ads 51 weeks of the year. More.

We have one thing which is accepted as a purely editorial-driven product -- the football tab. The more open pages I have to work with, the cleaner a section I'll have.

Every once in a while, your service to the reader has to come first.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

shot ... we had the same request. We're putting a template together for our high school pages and each school gets a page. An ad would really screw with that, so we've asked for a certain amount of open pages. Supposedly they're struggling to sell it anyway (insert eye roll here), so it shouldn't be a problem.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any ad people check out this site? I'm curious on their take on the business. And if you were a salesperson, how would you sell a product that managers are repeatedly downgrading?

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The prep tabs I've done usually force the sales staff to get out and work the more rural outposts, which leads to them whining and trying to get it cut as they hate going out because those ads are usually small and offer very little commission for an awful lot of legwork.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In other words, they actually have to work as opposed to calling someone for the easy renewal.

Draft saved Draft deleted